NEED HELP NOW!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GoldenChicks16, Jan 30, 2014.

1. GoldenChicks16

GoldenChicks16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    Winder, Georgia
    I found one of my girls like this this afternoon. She hasn't had it before today or I would have noticed. It looked like a ball of feces had formed around her vent. I placed her in a warm soak immediately and slowly removed the mass. To be honest I didn't think anything of it until the mass was gone and this was revealed...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    What is this? How can I help her? She's one of my original 16 that I got when they were a day old. I really don't want to cull her but she shouldn't be in any pain </3

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Looks like she might have a prolapse and/or infection, both can be treated if you're willing/able.

-Kathy

3. GoldenChicks16

Mar 12, 2013
    Winder, Georgia
    @casportpony how would I go about it?

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I would start by checking her for a stuck egg... clean vent really well, put on glove, add lube, gently insert finger. If you find an egg, give her calcium orally - you can use human pills.

The best thing to do would be to take her to a vet, but most people can't do that, so your next step is to figure out what's causing it to look like that - Is it bacteria, yeast or parasites?

Read this: http://birdhealth.com.au/flockbirds/poultry/diseases/vent_gleet.html

-Kathy

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If she were mine I would weigh her, dust for bugs with a proper dust, DE doesn't work and I'd worm with Safeguard .5ml per 2.2 pounds.

-Kathy

6. GoldenChicks16

Mar 12, 2013
    Winder, Georgia
    Thank you.. But she's died a couple of days ago. Her prolapse healed up fine but she just wouldn't eat. Anything she did eat came right out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by