NEED HELP.......Odor in the water feeder yuck!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Luv Favorelles, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Luv Favorelles

Luv Favorelles Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2012
    Well as my Favorelles grew older I realized there was more of a foul odor in the water feeder. When I wiped the insides with a paper towel, there was scum I had wiped off. I know what's causing this problem. My chickens decide to take a dump in the water so it gets suck into the "vaccum" and later smells terrible. I tried putting vinegar but that didn't work. I even had to bleach and rinse it over and over but I want to use a safer and quicker way. I do know how to prevent this but even if I raise the water feeder with wood blocks, my chicks would still be able to use the restroom in the water! Should I upgrade or what?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  2. bnewns

bnewns Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2012
    Wilmington, CA
    use waterbottles or nipples, the other thing that you could use is the soda fountain water trough (like a bird glass tube waterer)

3. Luv Favorelles

Luv Favorelles Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2012
    Well thank you for your suggestion! [​IMG]I'll think about all my suggestions including yours. All is helpful and l need all the help i can get! [​IMG]

4. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    You might consider hanging the waterer so they don't sit on it or the edge...that way they can't poo in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by