need help on auto waterers

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by plantguy90, Jun 17, 2010.

1. plantguy90

plantguy90 Songster

Oct 4, 2009
    Moorpark, CA
    OK here is the question: I'd like to make a water source that restricts them from jumping and dirtying up the waterer, but also want to add a float so its automatic. Chickens of all sizes are using it so simply drilling big holes in the bucket wouldn't work. I'd like to set up a big pan that has a bucket in the middle, with holes in the bucket at the bottom, but not sure how a gravity fill would work with a float valve. Is that doable?

2. briteday

briteday Songster

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    There's a picture of one on here somewhere. You would need to drill the holes (for the chickens to stick their heads in and drink through) about 1/3 - 1/2 the way up the bucket and install a hose connector to the bottom third of the bucket, which in turn would connect to a toilet float valve or a float lever.

3. Me & My Peeps

Me & My Peeps Songster

Apr 26, 2010
    Western MA
    You can make that, or go to a members page here and get some nipples. No more problems with dirt, spilling or filling/changing every day. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/profile.php?id=15206

PM
    him, he'll give you all the info you need to make an educated decision. Plus the prices cant be beat....... I got mine abut 4-5 weeks ago and I think their the greatest thing. No maint, no fuss.

4. dtimms

dtimms Songster

Jun 20, 2009
    NJ
    I use a nipple waterer too and it's AWESOME. Nipples are cheap, and I use leftover gallon milk jugs which are even cheaper... got mine from FarmTek.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Little Giant automatic waterers. Can't be beat.

6. happydog

happydog Songster

Nov 22, 2009
    Western NC
    What's the best way to use the nipples?

7. Me & My Peeps

Me & My Peeps Songster

Apr 26, 2010
    Western MA
    ?? Define your question better please?
    Do you mean - use a 5 Gal pail, a 1 Gal milk jug etc.......

I want to help but I dont understand your question.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by