Need help on choosing an incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by iluvwyandottes, Jan 1, 2009.

1. iluvwyandottes

iluvwyandottes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2008
    CA
    i am going to see if i can incubate a few chicks and i was wondering what kind of incubator i could use. There is an incubator i was thinking about its called a mini dome incubator that i can get from mcmurray. And i'm also looking at price seeing i'm short on cash right now.

2. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    The mini bators like that are not worth it. Odds are they won't hatch anything because they are too small with too little insulation to maintain a steady temp and humidity. There have also been issues with them being too small when the chicks were hatching and chicks dying during hatch for various reasons. A small styrofoam bator is about the cheapest you can get that's still effective. They cost around $40 and hold around 40 standard chicken eggs. Personally I went with a hovabator 1602n. It was the cheapest I could find that will still hatch. I just had 24 of 25 quail eggs hatch from my hovabator despite some accidents leading to large temp and humidity changes in the room it was in.

3. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    if you are going to spring for an incubator. Don't get a mini dome its very hard to use and dosen't work very good, its a wast of money. Save your pennys and get an LG or hova bator migt take a little longer to get but you'll get better results and you'll ave fluffy butts running around.

4. iluvwyandottes

Aug 24, 2008
    CA
    Well now that you mention it how could i make a styrofoam incubator?

5. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I agree with Akane... I use the Hovabator 1602 right now as a hatcher and it does well at maintaining temp/humidity. It really is worth paying a bit more on the bator...you'll save money in the long run on eggs. [​IMG]

6. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    As for how to make a styro-bator, just check out MissPrissy signature line. There's a link right to it. [​IMG]

7. lilarabookworm

lilarabookworm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2008
    i dont have any experience with little giant incubators but i have a hovabator and it worked out just fine with me. of seventeen eggs, fourteen hatched. i hope i helped a little
    by the way, we had the model #1602
    [​IMG]
    good luck finding the right incubator and i hope you get the results you are looking for.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  8. funonahonda

funonahonda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Hands down HOVABATOR 1588

9. iluvwyandottes

Aug 24, 2008
    CA
    Thanks for all your input. I will tell you how all goes, but before long i will be needing fertile eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by