Need help on gosling

Discussion in 'Geese' started by thebaker, Aug 11, 2013.

1. thebaker

thebaker New Egg

Aug 11, 2013
    My daughter accidently shut the gate on my gosling foot an we tried to put meds on it but the gosling died the next day.. Did we do something wrong?

How can we keep our goslings from getting next too the gate?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    What kind of meds did you use and how serious was the injury? anything with pain relief ending in caine is not safe to use on poultry
    what kind of gate are you talking about? get a long pole and when they come towards the gate put the pole out in front and say wait or no or back off but what ever word you decide on use it only. and make sure you don't let them get to the gate before you say it. I use an old mop handle to keep my geese from going after the dogs. I just place it between them and the dogs and tell them no. I also use my hands and arms to guide them from one fenced in area to another when they see me raise my hand and say lets go they automatically start walking towards the gate. It take time and patience but geese are smart and learn pretty easy. and so very sorry for your loss. and [​IMG]

3. thebaker

thebaker New Egg

Aug 11, 2013
    We put neiospion on the foot but the foot had a hole in it an was bleeding. we got the bleeding stopped. Didn't give nothing for pain as didn't know what might work or might kill.I hate we lost this little gosling as it would follow me everywhere's.. I think we're going to put up a new different type of gate. The gate we got up right now is like for cattle but we put chicken wire at the bottom too keep the chicks in...

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Do you think it lost too much blood, I know Neosporin wouldn't harm it.

5. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    Sounds to me as if more than the foot got caught in the gate and caused internal injuries. Plus the gosling must have went into shock. Shock is a big killer of goslings..

6. thebaker

thebaker New Egg

Aug 11, 2013
    It didn't seem too loose to much blood. We put it under a heat but still lost it.

Too the other poster it was just the foot that got caught nothing more as I seen it happen. It may have died due too been by itself. It was used to been around others an we put it in a brooder box with a heat to keep it warm since it had been raining here like crazy. The heat wasn't to hot as it could move away from it if need to be. We're starting to think it died due to being a lone & couldn't see the others.. Not sure, but we said going to change a few gates around when the weather lets up.. LIke today we got almost 4 inches of rain in less then 35mins. Had to put our little ducklings up higher so their pen wouldn't be in nothing but water. I know ducks like water but these aren't ready for that yet. Since very young.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Well what ever happened it was a hard lesson to learn but you know now what you have to do to keep it from happening again, and hope your weather clears soon. Post some pics of all your babies when you can we'd love to see them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by