need help on how many nesting boxes to make?

Ourgardenpatch

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 1, 2009
Hello, new to all this. Getting ready to build our coop. We have 23 little chicks. Do not know how many are male yet. I only know for sure 6 are femal. Time will tell I guess. Anyway. How do I know how many nesting boxes to make? I thought I needed one for every femal chick? Can anyone out there help me? Thanks,Lori and MIke

I'd have to look up somewhere what the recommended rule is, but I know I have 4 hens laying in one box and 5 laying in another. If there are only six hens, you could get away with 2 next boxes.

The rule of thumb is one individual nesting box for 4 hens. You do want suffucient nesting boxes so they lay in the boxes instead of other places.

You might do a search on communiity nesting boxes. I saw one claim that a 2' x 4' community nesting box would handle 35 laying hens. I personally have no experience with community nesting boxes.

Knowing that most flocks of BYCers tend to grow, I'd put in 4.
jumpy.gif

I do 1 laying box for every 2-3 hens but then again I like them to have a big choice. I have never had ground eggs this way but maybe that is coincidence. Just so you know you could put 100 boxes in there and they could still all decide they want to lay in one box. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 8 nest boxes for 25 hens. They use all of them some days, other days, I will find eggs in only 4-5 nests. They seem to have their favorite nests also, and some will wait for it to become available.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom