need help on how many nesting boxes to make?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Ourgardenpatch, May 1, 2009.

1. Ourgardenpatch

Ourgardenpatch Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2009
    Hello, new to all this. Getting ready to build our coop. We have 23 little chicks. Do not know how many are male yet. I only know for sure 6 are femal. Time will tell I guess. Anyway. How do I know how many nesting boxes to make? I thought I needed one for every femal chick? Can anyone out there help me? Thanks,Lori and MIke

2. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    I'd have to look up somewhere what the recommended rule is, but I know I have 4 hens laying in one box and 5 laying in another. If there are only six hens, you could get away with 2 next boxes.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The rule of thumb is one individual nesting box for 4 hens. You do want suffucient nesting boxes so they lay in the boxes instead of other places.

You might do a search on communiity nesting boxes. I saw one claim that a 2' x 4' community nesting box would handle 35 laying hens. I personally have no experience with community nesting boxes.

4. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    I will have 4 layers and two silkies (who I know will also lay). Will 3 boxes work?

5. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    Knowing that most flocks of BYCers tend to grow, I'd put in 4. [​IMG]

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Quote:2 boxes will work for 6 hens. A third box won't hurt anything, but you'll find it unlikely that 3 will ever be used.

7. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    I do 1 laying box for every 2-3 hens but then again I like them to have a big choice. I have never had ground eggs this way but maybe that is coincidence. Just so you know you could put 100 boxes in there and they could still all decide they want to lay in one box. LOL

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2009
  8. OutdoorFun4

OutdoorFun4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Southern Maine
    Quote:Best advice I have read today. [​IMG][​IMG]

9. Ourgardenpatch

Ourgardenpatch Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2009
    Thank you to everyone. Such a big help. [​IMG]

10. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I have 8 nest boxes for 25 hens. They use all of them some days, other days, I will find eggs in only 4-5 nests. They seem to have their favorite nests also, and some will wait for it to become available. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by