need help on how to introduce roo to girls in a pen please

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by klf73, May 25, 2010.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I have a roo that is over a year old now...he has been with another roo this whole time. They can see the girls that free range and talk to them through the fence and a couple of the girls seem to really like him. I am making a breeding pen because I need to hatch eggs from him now. Who do I put in the pen first? I know the girls will probably be upset because they have always free ranged. I can't let him out because my free range roo and he always fight through the fence(or try). What is the best way to go about this?

2. Doesn`t really matter who you pen first. Don`t worry about upsetting your hens, they will adapt in short order, hopefully with minimal egg loss. Something that always seems to lessen stress is to make all your moves at night. Let them wake up with the new surroundings. When changing roosters and going to a breeding situation, remember to give your hens a month to clean out before collecting hatching eggs. Otherwise the old rooster could still influence the outcome. I know 3 weeks is reccommended, but a month is a sure thing. Good luck.........Pop

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    thanks pop, appreciate the help [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by