Need Help on info for Aviary/Pond!

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by ChickenFarmer98, Mar 12, 2013.

1. ChickenFarmer98

ChickenFarmer98 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2012
    i am new to the whole ornamental fowl, but i just wanted to start getting some because i love duck hunting, but i thought to myself, "how cool would it be to just be able to watch these wild birds in my backyard!" so me and my dad are going to build an aviary pretty soon that will be 25x45. i already have a pair of Ruddy Shellducks im about to go pickup. but i did have a few questions if anyone can help.

1. What should i use to filter my pond?

2. what type of plants should i plant

3. how big of a pond will i need for the ruddy shellducks and wood ducks and mandarins

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  2. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    First off. You are foolish for getting those ruddy shelducks without reseaching what they need and their temperment. Just so you know they will more than likely kill any other duck you try to add. I hate to say it but you need to do alot of research before getting started with any of these type birds (migratory and ornamentals) Im not trying to discourage you on keeping ornamental or migratory ducks here but in my opinion you need to slow down and learn more. Alot more!!!! You are pulling the cart before the horse.Your parents should know this as well.

1 person likes this.
  3. ChickenFarmer98

Aug 19, 2012
    i have talked to the man who is selling me the ruddy shell ducks and he said as long as i have other birds that arent pinioned they will be fine because the ruddy shellducks are pinioned and i was going to get wood ducks who use boxes and other birds who can fly and get away from them if they cause problems

4. destinduck

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Good luck with all of it then. My advise is not needed or heeded. I wont be able to help you on BYC anymore .

5. ChickenFarmer98

Aug 19, 2012
    i wasnt trying to discard your advice i was just letting you know the bit of information i have gotten, what do you suppose i start out with? because i can still tell the man i dont want them, i just need something that can be bought and shipped under $100

6. destinduck

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    There are na pintails, various teals, woodducks or manderins just to mention a few that will fill that bill. All of which are beautiful and easy to keep to start out with and most get along with each other.

7. ChickenFarmer98

Aug 19, 2012
    Would it work if i put the ruddy shells in a 10x25 pen by themselves

8. destinduck

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Yes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by