Need Help On Meal Plan!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Artemis Fowl, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Artemis Fowl

Artemis Fowl Chirping

Jun 13, 2010
    Arizona
    Ok so my chickens are 8 and 9 weeks old, I have no idea what to feed them! I have been giving them the baby medicated crumble, but yesterday was the last bag... so i went to the feed store and they guy gave me scratch, so i get home and do some research and some people say give them scratch and some say not in the summer because it causes overheated chickens (is that true)??? I didn't want to risk it so i go back and explain the situation and they guy gives me layer crumble???[​IMG] Is that ok if not can someone give me a proper meal plan?

BTW i new with chickens so sorry about the long post.... THANKS [​IMG]

2. dixie&trixie

dixie&trixie Songster

May 26, 2010
    Yreka California
    I would go back and ask for the medicated chick starter. I have 2 chicks that are 9 weeks and 1 that is 8 weeks and I still have them on chick starter. I believe you keep them on the chick starter for another couple months until they start laying. Do you give them treats yet?

3. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  4. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Songster

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    I give mine grower cal at 8-9 weeks then switch to layer they did fine with that [​IMG]

5. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Songster

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Baby chick starter until they start to lay. Then you can switch to layer pellets. Scratch is given as a treat by most ppl. My babies are given chick crumbles until about 18 weeks old then I start to mix layer and chick crumbles together. Then I will mix the layer with the scratch and leave out the baby chick crumbles.

6. Artemis Fowl

Artemis Fowl Chirping

Jun 13, 2010
    Arizona
    Is Baby chick starter the same as Chick grower and finisher?

7. Artemis Fowl

Artemis Fowl Chirping

Jun 13, 2010
    Arizona
    Yeah i give them treats, Recently cold fruit because its been so hot.

8. dixie&trixie

dixie&trixie Songster

May 26, 2010
    Yreka California
    Alright! I have an RIR and BR as well! My BR is such a sweetheart. Post pics if you have some![​IMG]

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:No. Grower/finisher is what comes between Chick Starter feed and Layer feed. I change from Chick Starter to the grower/finisher and do not use Layer feed any more. I just keep crushed oyster shell available as free choice (not mixed with the feed but in an empty tuna can nailed to an inside coop wall) - the pullets and hens that NEED the extra calcium will take it as they need it.

10. I have mine on grower/finisher. I would prefer pellets but it is not available that way. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by