Need help on troubled chicken hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by quad1993, Jan 29, 2017.

1. quad1993

quad1993 Just Hatched

Apr 2, 2013
    Ok here is the story...... I made my last rotation of my eggs on day 18 before lockdown and I dropped this one egg. I made my attempt at saving the chick by using beeswax to seal the damage. Now fast forward to day 22, morning. All the other eggs have now hatched except my damaged one. So I took it out and inspected it. To my surprise it was alive! It was however shrink wrapped, but was chirping up a storm. It appeared to have pipped through the inner membrane. I carefully chipped away and unzipped the egg and damped the outer membrane. I then placed the egg back into the incubator. I observed what appeared to be a large vein just above its beak. I was hoping it would absorb the blood and yolk throughout the day.

I just came home from work approximately 12 hours later and it looks like the vein is still the same size. The chick seems to be breathing good at this point, At this point, what do I do? What are your recommendations?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TalkBahk2Me

TalkBahk2Me Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2016
    FL south west
    If the chick has made no progress getting out of the egg, I would remove the membrane
    (since I would be pretty certain by now that the chick won't be doing that on its own)
    I've had to assist two with the membrane and vein issue before. Yes it bled. Just move slow, and take all the membrane off of the head and surrounding. Just make sure the chicks head pops out of the fixed egg position to get it going [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. quad1993

quad1993 Just Hatched

Apr 2, 2013
    Even though those veins are really big? Is that okay?

4. TalkBahk2Me

Aug 28, 2016
    FL south west
    Mine had large veins as well. At this point, I would think the chick won't make it from being unable to help himself out of the membrane.
    You can avoid tear that area by very gently using safety scissors to cut away the membrane below his beak area. Then sloughing the rest off gently. It may work best if you lightly dab the finger your using to remove the membrane in a little water, to help the membrane slide off the chick easier

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  5. Lamancha

Lamancha Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2014
    Oregon
    That isn't a very large vein. It should be fine. Here's what a large vein looks like.[​IMG]

6. TalkBahk2Me

Aug 28, 2016
    FL south west
    Great example [​IMG]

7. quad1993

quad1993 Just Hatched

Apr 2, 2013
    Update:

I went ahead a slowly got it out, and to my surprise it's still alive. It does appear to be under developed or something. Is it possible that it got shrink wrapped on day 18 and that stopped its development?

8. TalkBahk2Me

Aug 28, 2016
    FL south west
    Sadly yes, that is possible. If it appears to great of a development issue, you can have put it to sleep. If your optimistic about it, you can see how the chick does over the next few days. If it gets worse off, put it to sleep so it won't suffer. Sadly some just aren't made to make it. You will know after watching it.
    After a day- Can it drink or stand properly, does it move around or stay in one spot, Can it see? Etc.

Very Best of luck to you! So glad your others all turned out great :) [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. Fangthewolve

Fangthewolve New Egg

Feb 18, 2017
    I have a few questions, my first one is what tempature would you put on anew Incubator when hatching chicken eggs, and what tempa ture for hatching African grey geese eggs? the other question is two of my eggs that a broody hen is sitting on accidentally got cracked, it is not a big crack and no prices went in the shell, will they still hatch happy and healthy chicks?

10. TalkBahk2Me

Aug 28, 2016
    FL south west
    Personally I would Discard the cracked eggs. Some people seal them with beeswax immediately if it's a small chip. Any of these cracks or chips cause those exposed areas to collapse in on the forming embryo. Chicks will not be healthy and from my exp do not hatch on their own nor live long afterwards.

Temp 99.5-100 incubation for chicks
    Goose eggs require high humidity, they should be sprinkled daily with warm water. After the 15th day of incubation, eggs should be completely submerged every second day in water kept at a temperature of 99.5 degrees and then daily in the last week of incubation, for 1 minute.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by