Need help ordering DD214 for former Marine -

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wynette, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I'm not in a huge rush for it, but trying to get a copy of my husband's form DD214.

I went online & found a website - Touchstone Research Group (TRG). They offer an expedited form, stating they'll file it for you & you can check online on their site for details. I opted for the "regular" one, which was only $9.95 since we're not in a huge hurry. Paid for it, logged back in with my user ID/password to complete the form online, and - surprise - the form won't submit. GRRRRRrrrr. I was a bit leery, but got sucked in I guess.

They had an "e-chat" option so I clicked that - the person told me I had to contact TRG directly & gave me the phone number. I did so, no less than 5 times, and got hung up on - all 5 times. The last time someone answered, "I said, PLEASE DO NOT HANG UP!" and they hung up. What a stinking scam, and I'm so ashamed I got sucked in!

I called my bank, and they said they can submit a dispute, but the charge is currently still "pending" and I have to wait until it posts. Sheesh.

ANYWAY - in the meantime, can anyone let me know how to go about requesting a duplicate of DH's DD214? Many thanks, and thank you for listening to my rant!

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Go here (National Archives/Veteran Records), you can order them online and, in most cases, for free. http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/

It is called eVetRecs. They have a very specific protocol to follow (not difficult). They won't promise to get those records to you any sooner than 6 months following their receipt of your request. However, I made a request for everything available in my service record. and received the material in a little over a month (included laundry chits from Schofield and Walter Reed! guess they keep about everything).

Good luck!

3. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    MANY THANKS, Ivan! I surely appreciate it!

4. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    This service is provided for free, under most circumstances (National Archives point this out on the eVet req. page). Third party rip-off artists are proliferating at an astounding speed. That old saw `trust but verify' cuts no ice with me. Verify (twice) and then `trust' after the tenth successful deal has been done (balance in escrow, of course).

Good luck on getting the charges cancelled!
    (I know you'll get the 214).

5. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Yup, yup! Got the request form filled out, just need to have DH sign tonight & will send tomorrow. Again, MANY thanks - and you know, if I don't get the charge reversed from the RIPOFF place, it's honestly worth the $9.95 to finally get this done. Sigh.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by