Need Help!!! Our County is trying to make unrealistic backyard poultry farming laws

ericsgirlie

Songster
8 Years
Jun 30, 2011
Easton, MD
What points can we make to build a case that this is wrong?

If you want to sign the petition, you can do so here and even comment on why this is wrong.

SIGN PETITION!
27657557_1849962678347646_3024675544846583331_n.jpg

That's a pretty standard ordinance for a residential lot. You should be limited to enough birds to feed one family. I think the 5 acre limits are too generous. 50 birds in a residential area is nuts. At 50 birds one is either selling eggs, meat birds or cockfighting. . There are also no rooster restrictions at 5 acres.
There needs to be more wording. Eliminate any grey right up front. What is waterfowl? What is gamebirds? Ganders, petcocks and guineas? They will be noise violators day one so check them off the list to start. What's an enclosure? How to deal with violations and complaints... I obviously don't see a problem with the first draft of this proposed ordinance and see the need to add more teeth to it so everyone, even the non chicken owning neighbors can live with it.

That's a pretty standard ordinance for a residential lot. You should be limited to enough birds to feed one family. I think the 5 acre limits are too generous. 50 birds in a residential area is nuts. At 50 birds one is either selling eggs, meat birds or cockfighting. . There are also no rooster restrictions at 5 acres.
There needs to be more wording. Eliminate any grey right up front. What is waterfowl? What is gamebirds? Ganders, petcocks and guineas? They will be noise violators day one so check them off the list to start. What's an enclosure? How to deal with violations and complaints... I obviously don't see a problem with the first draft of this proposed ordinance and see the need to add more teeth to it so everyone, even the non chicken owning neighbors can live with it.
X2...what, exactly, do you find unrealistic about this, op?

Sounds pretty reasonable to me too. We have one perspective as chicken owners but the needs of neighborhoods need to be considered as well and I think that's what the proposal is aimed at.

If I'm counting correctly it sounds like you have 2 dozen birds. Could it be that you don't have 5 acres? Or are you objecting to having your fowl in a run? If it's the former, perhaps you could apply for a variance until attrition brings your flock down to permitted size. If it's the latter, you may just need to build a run because I wonder how many objections there will be to these proposed ordinances even among backyard flock owners in your area.

Vote with your feet, or get elected, you can't stop city dwellers from setting up city rules. If you want to live in a free country you need to move to one where you own your land, last I checked there are very few of those left in the world and unfortunately the USA isn't one of them any longer. So I would suggest moving. And if you can't or won't then the next choice is to fight or take it. 99 take it and that's why we are where we are....the older I get the farther I desire to be from the city...people who would trade a little liberty for a little security end up with townships and counties running their lives and telling them what they can do when they can do it. Welcome to Amerkistan Comrade it's been a long time coming...good luck to ya

Back
Top Bottom