Need Help Pheasant Experts

Master Hatcher

Chirping
Jul 20, 2017
Bay Minette Alabama
my females started laying about a week or so ago . went out this morning and one of my females was laying there her legs kind of stiff yellowish stuff coming from her rear she is panting and her heart beating pretty rapidly ! there are 2 males ringnecks in with my 2 females and they all get along well ! could this had been her 1st time breeding and her being in a shock state maybe ? o9r is this something more serious ? i have pushed around on her back end and dont feel a egg that may be bound up ! please help ! thanks

Could she have gotten spooked and hit the top of the pen?You need to take 1 male out as there will be a blood bath soon.I am surprised they haven't fought yet.What are you feeding them?Have they been wormed?
In N.H.,Tony.

Could she have gotten spooked and hit the top of the pen?You need to take 1 male out as there will be a blood bath soon.I am surprised they haven't fought yet.What are you feeding them?Have they been wormed?
In N.H.,Tony.
The 2 males grew up together and the 2 females did also. i got the males a little over a month ago they all get along great i keep a close eye on them . i keep them Scratch Grains and 20% chick starter in pen as there daily food when i go out to feed my Chickens i usually throw them a little bit of Layer pellets and cracked corn mix. i cant see her getting spooked as she was inside the building . i have had her inside my house now for a couple hours she is holding her head up fine looking around and seems to be moving more but i still havent seen her get up . she is definantly more alert ! one of the hens just started laying ..yesterday was the 1st day i got 2 eggs. still no fertile ones though. there was a few feathers between the pines was thinking maybe the other hen may have jumped on her and hurt her somehow ! didnt know if it may have been her 1st time getting bred and her just being in shock or what .

I would play it safe and get 1 male out.By the time you notice there is a problem 1 will be dead.They need to be on a gamebird feed pellet.As soon as warm weather hits I would not feed them any corn as it produces heat for them and has no nutritional value,it is just a filler feed for birds.Try giving her and the other some vitamins and electrolytes in their water.This gives them a little boost for the laying season as hens do have more stress in laying season and it drains their energy.
In N.H.,Tony.

That's a sure sign of egg peritonitis. The albumen like material has almost a cooked like appearance. It's caused by the reverse movement of albumen and E. coli bacteria from the oviduct into the abdomen.
Regression of the ovary can result in the leakage of "free yolk" into the abdomen.
Very rarely results in death, unless the yolk travels through the air sacs to the lungs, which would cause pneumonia.
Usually occurs if there has been an acute illness or an injury, sometimes if there has been a forced molt.
I've had a few of my hens (Melanistic) have this condition. They survived but layed shell-less eggs, deformed eggs and for whatever reason I wasn't able to determine, layed eggs year round.
I believe it's a genetic defect of the reproductive system.
As far as feed is concerned, I would get them on a complete balanced feed of at least 24% protien. Adding oyster grit free choice is also a good idea, which, a complete commercial feed should have ( calcium carbonate ) added to the feed but sometimes, it isn't or not in high enough concentration for maximum absorption in the digestive processes. HTH

Thanks for the info... i took her back out to the aviary and left her in a cage over night she isnt up and walking yet but when i picked her up she had an egg under her so she laid sometimes between last night and this morning ... she doesnt act like she is hurting or in pain so i wont put her down ... will give her a couple more days and see if she will get up and start walking on her own. the eggs was covered in a white powdery substance and she was leaking fluid and what looked almost like a cooked eggs substance yesterday so i do believe you are correct ! i always make sure they have access to crushed oyster shell again thanks again for the info has helped me a lot

Back
Top Bottom