Need Help! Pink pecking crazed chicks!

Scifisarah

Songster
10 Years
May 1, 2009
Rockford MI
My Coop
My Coop
I just hatched 13 silkie chicks and one bantam cochin yesterday. The silkies are OBSESSED with pecking the cochin's reddish brown beak and pink legs. There is one silkie that has pink middle toes and they are going crazy on him as well whenever he isn't sitting on his feet. I don't want to have to separate and care for the one lonely cochin. I have a paper ring around the cochin for protection at the moment, but he is going to need to go drink and eat on his own soon. What can I do to stop them???

I solved my own problem so thought I would post it here in case someone else has similar troubles. I added a few colorful parakeet toys and a handful of marbles to the brooder. The chick with the reddish brown beak still gets a lone peck once in a while, but they don't all gang up on him since he isn't the most interesting thing there anymore.

Red bulbs for your heat lamp work wonders too. I think chicks just find little wiggly toes and that cute little egg tooth irresistible, I usually always have a couple of toe pullers in every batch of chicks I hatch. Glad you got things sorted out, good luck!

Back
Top Bottom