Need help please figuring out what breeds these are.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sixpaw, Sep 30, 2012.

1. sixpaw

sixpaw New Egg

Sep 30, 2012
    I got 25 chicks from welp hatchery on aug. 10 so these guys are about 7 weeks old. I got all brown egg layers... 5 light brahmas + rooster, 5 buckeyes + rooster, 5 black australorps, and then the rest assorted rare brown egg layers ... thinking that might help narrow it down... here are the photos of the ones i'm not sure of... any help would be appreciated and not sure how to tell the roosters at this age :(...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Second pic looks rooish. Erect tail, very red wattles/comb/face for seven weeks old.

Third and fourth pic def pullets. Last two Brahmas look hennish. Brahmas can be sneaky though...sometimes little roos pop up. But looks like you got mostly girls anyways. :)

3. Panth

Panth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    I see a couple Speckled Sussex and several Dark Cornish in there as well as some RIR. I believe the second pic down is your Buckeye roo. You will have to wait until they are older to pick out the Brahma roo- they mature very very late.

I believe the black and white one in the 3rd pic is a Mottled Java....I"m jealous!!!!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  4. sixpaw

sixpaw New Egg

Sep 30, 2012
    the one you think is the buckeye roo is the most aggressive of the bunch ... he is smaller than the buckeye hens though ... is what threw me off ... a mottled java ... that is great thanks ... Feel like i'm starting a collection of something lol ... i really am enjoying watching them grow ... just happening so quick though... anyway thanks for input so far ... chris

5. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  6. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    x2

8. sixpaw

sixpaw New Egg

Sep 30, 2012
    Thank for helping me narrow these down .... been wondering for a 7 weeks :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by