Need help!!! Please help!!a

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by marzloveless, Sep 9, 2016.

1. marzloveless

marzloveless New Egg

Sep 9, 2016
    Ruidoso, NM
    I have a flock of 6 chickens...1 buff, 2 Rhode Island reds, and 3 easter Eggers. They have been laying for a little less then a year, and just recently we have been having problems with their eggs.their shells are fine, and yolks are fairly thick(have ALWAYS been a little thin), but the yolks themselves have started sticking to the air pockets on the inside of the egg. So when we go to check them open the yolk is already busted. We tried hard boiling some to see what would happen, and not only were they extremely hard to peel, but the yolks are all to one side of the egg(where the air pocket is) and fully exposed. What is wrong with my chickens?![​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Pleased you joined us but at a loss as to what is causing your egg issue. Here's is a super article on egg adnormalities. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems
    Toward the bottom it talks about the whites and the yolks and possible reasons abnormalities are present. Hope it helps! :)

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    That is very interesting, I would also like to know why that happens.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - i hope the link given to you by redsox helps you out.

Best wishes
    CT

6. marzloveless

marzloveless New Egg

Sep 9, 2016
    Ruidoso, NM
    I have read the article, and nothing in there about what is happening with my eygs.....but good knowledge for if i have any other problems, thank you

7. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you. Not sure about your issue, never seen anything like that before.

8. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

Are all of the chickens laying eggs like this? Or only one? If all..then I would guess that it's the feed. Plus, add some oyster shell to thicken up the outer shell. Good luck.. Very different for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by