1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

NEED HELP PLEASE transferring eggs from broody to incubator!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fowlsessed, Sep 16, 2012.

1. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Okay, so my bantam EE laid 12 eggs and went broody, but then she laid one more after she started going broody and I added two more eggs after she was on the eggs for a couple of days already. So will she stay on the nest for the balance of time till all the eggs hatch? And will the chicks that have already hatched be alright? I set up the incubator just in case she decides to get up, but I never got good hatches using it so I stopped and I don't know how much water to put if any. I don't have a hydro meter or anything. I do know you need to raise the humidity at this point in the inc. process. HELP PLEASE. I'm no beginner raising chickens, but when it comes to hatching them out I still feel like a total newbie.
    Thanks,

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    thats tough question ! Havent tried that , how many days apart are the eggs? If it just few days longer,lets hope she will sit on it ! as for the babies maybe leave them alone with her. Gee I just dont know either ! Hope some else knows better !

3. cochins1088

cochins1088 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    I would think that she would stay on her eggs, how about you separate her though. I had a similar problem, she continued laying eggs even after she was broody in which 2 would hatch the first day and one each day for that whole week. I put her in a large dog kennel with food and water. The dog kennel was just a bit bigger than 2 by 3 feet. Normally the hen will only stay on the eggs for 1 or 2 days after the first one hatches, then she's off teaching the baby chicks about the outside world. But since I kept her in the dog kennel, she had nothing to do but continue sitting on her eggs until they all hatched. After they all hatched I moved them back to the coop for her to raise them all together normally. So I managed to get it to work by using a dog kennel, but I have eggs a full week apart, since yours are only days, she may stay on them anyways without separating her.

4. fowlsessed

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Thanks guys, yes, she's by herself. but able to leave if she wishes.

5. yo burrill

yo burrill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2012
    Garland, ME
    You can get a thermometer with a hygrometer in it for about $10 at Walmart or Lowes. They really are a necessity if you have a bator.
    humidity should be 40-50% till Day 18 or they pip a hole in the egg, then it should go up to 65-70%. but I my last hatch suprised me and they all hatched at 40% just fine. My hardest part is the first week I loose alot during that time if I cant keep the bator consistent.
    She should be fine if they were set just a couple days apart. are you sure someone else isn't sneaking in to lay eggs in her nest?

6. silkielovinhefa

silkielovinhefa New Egg

Jun 7, 2012
    I had 3 broodys that were sitting on about 20 eggs... once the first 4 hatched they decided they didnt want to sit on them anymore, so i had to crank the incy up and finish hatching them.. I threw the 8 that hatched over the week/weekend under another hen thats a wonderful serrogant.. so now my serrogant has about 12 babies.. none are hers..lol Hopefully they hatch colse to each other because the can go up to 3 days without food/water but my mommas take their babies out usually on the 2nd day

7. fowlsessed

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Thanks everyone, I got home and there were 7 chicks hatched and she was off the nest. So I threw the other eggs in the bator, just in case. But there are two eggs/chicks missing [​IMG] just don't know what happened. Although I'm happy with seven [​IMG]. Thanks again for your help.
    P.S. Yes, I'll have to stop by and pick up one of those hydro meter things. But I do like dry hatching better (still uses some humidity though).

8. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Its possible, mother hen or other hens ate those eggs/chickies! But glad you got to save the other babies !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by