Need help please

jagermeister

Hatching
Jun 18, 2016
Hello everyone! I have bought an incubator just over a month ago and new rearing poultry..
I put in my eggs and candled them at day 17 to find out that 15of 19 seem fertile :D it's now day 23 and only had one hatch this morning.. The temperature was always right and the humidity wasn't done correctly I believe
1f629.png
How many hours should I leave the hatched chick in there? I don't want to disturb any other chicks even though there are no other signs yet... Is it safe to say I have done it wrong and not many will hatch? Or would they be delayed? I only stopped the motor from turning on 21 as I didn't realise I had to.
Thanks

Hatching eggs are pretty tough little things, its always possible they could still hatch. Did you calibrate all of your thermometers and hygrometers before you got started? If they're incorrect, you really have no idea what's going on in there.

What kind of incubator are you using? Still or circulated air? What was your temp and humidity those first 18 days and the last 3?

I don't think the turner is that big of a deal, I've had chicks hatch in mine with it still running, forgot to turn it off altogether. Oopsie.

Turning egg after 18 days have some impact.If the chicks position is wrong then when it try to pip it will get drowned.I have experienced it.Fully developed chick(even the yolk was fully absorbed) was dead inside because it was positioned wrongly.

Since one hatched I think the temperature & humidity was alright.

24 hours difference between hatching is normal.Fresh eggs hatch late.So wait for minimum 24 hours.

Turning egg after 18 days have some impact.If the chicks position is wrong then when it try to pip it will get drowned.I have experienced it.Fully developed chick(even the yolk was fully absorbed) was dead inside because it was positioned wrongly.

Since one hatched I think the temperature & humidity was alright.

24 hours difference between hatching is normal.Fresh eggs hatch late.So wait for minimum 24 hours.
One hatcher does not mean your temps and humidity were right. It means that was a lucky, strong chick. My very first hatch I had 2 hatch and one live. Hatched day 24. After checking my thermometer found it ws 6 degrees low. After researching humidity, I realized mine was most likely dangerously high.

If your hatcher hatched late, that is your first sign your temps were low. If your humidity is high you see bigger chicks with more malpositioned chicks because they can't turn and they will drown on the excess fluid in the egg and the excess fluid is there because the humidity was too high and they didn't loose enough moisture. Normal hatches with proper temps and humidity usually are complete within 48 of the first hatcher. Fresh eggs don't hatch late, as a matter of fact the fresher the better. It is temps and older eggs that can impact delayed hatching.

I read on few sites that fresh egg hatch later than older eggs. And I experienced it myself.I kept 2 eggs which was laid on the same day and all other eggs were few days old.
Those 2 eggs hatched 24 hours later than others.It may be coincidence.I am not an expert.I used broody hen for hatching and my older eggs hatched on 17th day and new eggs hatched on 18th day.My chicks are now 2 months old and very healthy.

I read on few sites that fresh egg hatch later than older eggs. And I experienced it myself.I kept 2 eggs which was laid on the same day and all other eggs were few days old.
Those 2 eggs hatched 24 hours later than others.It may be coincidence.I am not an expert.I used broody hen for hatching and my older eggs hatched on 17th day and new eggs hatched on 18th day.My chicks are now 2 months old and very healthy.
I did a pullet hatch last year. All fresh eggs. Within a week's collection time. They all hatched day 19/20.

Back
Top Bottom