Need help please!!

Deb6Chicks

Chirping
Jul 17, 2022
I have a hen she's about 6 months old now so I guess a pullet yet ...she's been missing her tail feathers awhile now and I posted before ...although it's now gotten much worse and I'm afraid I'm going to lose her ... I put some Vetericyn plus on her skin and tried wrapping her but she won't walk at all with wrap on so removed ...I have her in the run in a Kennel for now because the others are pecking at her ....please can anyone tell us what's wrong and how do we help her...thank you
IMG_2233.jpg

I see some pin feathers coming in... which means they're growing back. It's hard to tell from the photo where that's at, but it look like her back/should area...
The vet wrap is probably really uncomfortable for her because pin feathers are painful when they're growing back in. I wouldn't wrap it.

If your other chickens are pecking that area, I'm guessing the feather loss might be caused from bullying rather than molting. Have you noticed bullying going on in your flock? (Jumping on each other, starting fights during treat time, chasing away from feeders/water)

There are a few ways to treat bullying including pinless peepers and jail time for perps.

I see some pin feathers coming in... which means they're growing back. It's hard to tell from the photo where that's at, but it look like her back/should area...
The vet wrap is probably really uncomfortable for her because pin feathers are painful when they're growing back in. I wouldn't wrap it.

If your other chickens are pecking that area, I'm guessing the feather loss might be caused from bullying rather than molting. Have you noticed bullying going on in your flock? (Jumping on each other, starting fights during treat time, chasing away from feeders/water)

There are a few ways to treat bullying including pinless peepers and jail time for perps.
It's her lower back right about where her tail feathers were ....we don't see Any bullying going on and I'm with them a lot during the day if anything she's been my little stinker who I have to remind to share with her friends....I ordered her a saddle hoping to cover it and let it Grow back....these 5 ladies get along really well. It seems they see the open skin and peck at it and she is pecking at it herself...I'm just worried it's some infection

Back
Top Bottom