NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by xfilesnumber1fan, Apr 25, 2009.

1. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    You have a new 10x10x6 pen for my 5 ducks..We got a new bigger pool and put it on a pallet to have a drain installed under it so I just pull the plug and the water drains out behind the cage to keep it dry the other way just dumping the pool made a mud mess the pool is a different color and has a ramp long and wide easy to walk on..MY DUCKS WONT GO NEAR IT!!! They have not got any water other than the pool and the food is by the other side of the pallet and they wont eat..We covered the top in a tarp and they wont go by the back of the cage because the tarp hangs over it is well strapped down so it dont blow..THEY ARE SCARED TO DEATH OF THE TARP!!!! What do I do????? They wont move for a corner,wont drink or eat!!!!!

Long story made short...This is a total new set up found what they had on Wednesday a dog torn through their cage and killed one my boy mallard he was the leader of this group..They were not hurt but Im sure SCARED...Thats wht the new set-up...NOTHING is ever going to hurt my babies again...But now I scared of the way they are acting..

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You can't change things and not teach them how to use it, silly! LOL

Take a duck and put it in the pool. Show it how to get out using the ramp.

Do this for all of them.

They don't know what to do. Plus they are probably stressed from the attack.

Let us know how Duck kindergarden goes today.

3. xfilesnumber1fan

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:I did all that took each one and walked them up the ramp and into the pool they went crazy and flew out.....That just scared everyone else so when it was their turn they did the same..Funny to see how fast a fat no flight crested 12lb duck can move!!

4. Calebs Acre

Calebs Acre Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Long Island
    Just know that a tarp as a roof is NOT a predator-proof environment. When we first got ducks, I was in the midst of making a new duck pen and ONE NIGHT tied down a tarp as a roof. I sat with the ducks until 3AM and when we went out at 7AM, there had been a massacre. Duck parts all over the place! I lost 22 ducks. There were two untouched survivors and two barely breathing who died quickly. It was traumatic. We know use welded wire and chain link panels for the roof on our pens. We still could make some improvements, but we'll never use a tarp only roof again.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Is the water cold? Give them a bubble bath to splash in LOL J/k

You have to do it more than once. Also you might try leaving the hose running and let the water overflow so they will get in it.

6. xfilesnumber1fan

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:The tarp is just for the weather..Rain/sun My husband weld pipes to the roof then layered in with chicken wire no getting through that...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by