Need HELP please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by montanasandy, Oct 30, 2010.

1. montanasandy

montanasandy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Potomac, Montana
    Hi, I am worried about my one girl. I only have 4 and the others are fine. See below for symptoms. Thank you sooo much![​IMG]

1) What type of bird , age and weight. Easter Egger, 6 months old

2) What is the behavior, exactly. Lethargic, some poop is creamy yellow, some regualr, not eating or drinking much, also seems uncomfortable with the area just under her "saddle feathers and above the tail feathers"

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 2 days

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. no

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Don't know

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. a little oatmeal, a small bite of bread, Have not seen her drink today.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. see above

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Felt for binded egg, no, brought her inside last night in a steaming warm bathroom. Put her back out today.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I have a call into my vet, not sure if he will return it because it is Saturday.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. NA
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use: Wood chips in the coop, dirt in the run. They free range with me watching 1-2 hours a day. I keep everything VERY clean, including raking their run 2 x a week and scooping their coop daily.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0 Please check this chart. I suspect it could possibly be worms due to your EE hen acting lethargic and not eating/drinking. I recommend you treat with wazine 17 and dose all your chickens. Dosage is one ounce per one gallon of water. Leave it out for them for 24 hours, then replace with regular freshwater. Two days after worming, feed them plain yogurt mixed with scrambled eggs for a few days to help rebuild their health and strength. Fourteen days after using the wazine, redose them with a different wormer. I recommend Safeguard equine paste. It will kill larva that the wazine didnt get rid of and also it'll kill other types of worms. Dosage is a "pea" size amount of paste for each chicken. Again, feed them the yogurt and scrambled eggs for a few days after worming.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  3. montanasandy

May 11, 2010
    Potomac, Montana
    Thank you. I will try that. I assume no eating the eggs for a couple weeks? I do have equimax here for my horses, have you ever used that? How do you give them the pea size of the paste?

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I've never used equimax but have heard of it. Dosage would be a very small pea size amount for each chicken....similar to zimectrin gold. Yes, there's a 14 day egg withdrawal with the wazine and another 14 days withdrawal for the equimax. Does equimax have praziquantel in it? The reason I ask is that praziquantel kills tapeworms too. But I'm sure we're dealing with roundworms in your case, check to make sure the equimax gets roundworms, I'm sure it does.

5. montanasandy

May 11, 2010
    Potomac, Montana
    Quote:I've never used equimax but have heard of it. Dosage would be a very small pea size amount for each chicken....similar to zimectrin gold. Yes, there's a 14 day egg withdrawal with the wazine and another 14 days withdrawal for the equimax. Does equimax have praziquantel in it? The reason I ask is that praziquantel kills tapeworms too. But I'm sure we're dealing with roundworms in your case, check to make sure the equimax gets roundworms, I'm sure it does.

Yes, it has praziquantel in it. I live 30 miles out of town, can I give her this instead of the wazine? And if she is not drinking, not sure how the wazine will get in her.

Thanks again!

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I recommend the wazine first, it gets rid of large roundworms only and you need to expel them first. The equimax kills all types of worms and if you use that first, it could cause a toxic worm blockage killing your chickens. I recommend worming all your chickens, if one has worms, most likely the others have worms. You can soak some bread in the wazine and maybe she'll eat it. You can also use an eyedropper and try putting it to the side of her beak and see if she'll drink it like that. When you use the equimax, you can put it on a small piece of bread as well and give a piece to each chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by