Need help. Possible prolapsed vent?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bmart41685, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Bmart41685

Bmart41685 New Egg

Feb 21, 2017
    [​IMG]

2. Bmart41685

Bmart41685 New Egg

Feb 21, 2017
    Cleaning my coop and dusting my hens for mites today. I saw this. It's a small red bulge on her vent. It's not hanging out. It's flush with the outside of the vent. If it is prolapse. What's the cure? This is one of my Golden Comets and they lat very large eggs from time to time.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It helps to apply honey or preparation H cream to the red tissue, and push it back inside as soon as it will go. Keep the red tissue moist with the honey, cream, or a vegetable oil to keep it from drying out and dying. Make sure that she is drinking plenty of water, and you can place her in a dim area away from the others. Make sure that she is passing droppings, and keep her vent clean with a daily shallow soak in Epsom salts or soapy water. Sometimes egg binding can occur with a prolapse. It is good to keep her in a dark or covered crate for 16 hours overnight for a few days to get her to stop laying eggs, giving her vent time to heal. Reducing some protein in her diet can help in that too, but she needs to drink well.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by