1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

need help pourous egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by loupan, Dec 15, 2011.

1. loupan

loupan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2011
    newzealand
    I have been told to not do dry incubation with pourous eggs i have humidity at 35% at the min eggs only went in last night ,what should i have it at i dont want to bugger things up at the begining advice PLEASE before its to late [​IMG]

2. GrannysRoost

GrannysRoost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Casa Grande
    Candle with the rest and see if it's growing, I have hatched quite a few chicks out of porous eggs [​IMG]

3. kchristie77

kchristie77 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2011
    New Jersey
    Just hatched a gorgeous healthy chick out of a very porous egg:) And it was also a shipped egg!

4. loupan

Nov 24, 2011
    newzealand
    oh realy fantastic shall i keep the humidity a wee bit higher i have it at 46% at the min shall i just keep it there ?

5. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Have you already set it?

As for now, 46% sounds ok.
    Watch the air sac, you may have to increase humidity accordingly.

Larger air sacs mean low humidity. If this was the only porous egg,
    I personally would not have set it, especially if you were planning
    on doing a dry incubation.

I also have had healthy chicks hatch from porous eggs.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Personally, I incubate at 35% and hatch (day 18-21) at around 60%. Porous eggs, dark eggs, all eggs...

7. loupan

Nov 24, 2011
    newzealand
    it isnt the only porous egg had a couple in the batch of 6 [​IMG] they are polish eggs and im told its not to uncommon 1 looks worse then the other ,yes i set them last night i will leave my humidity around 35-40% i wont add no more water and i will decide come candling on day 7 im having alot more success with my temps this time round it seems real stable at 101 even through the night i reckon its cuz i only have to open door for 2 secs to tilt egg carton other way its soooo much easier hardly loose any heat and my hands have gone no where near these little buggers since i set them and i determined they will not i just dont want to screw up with humidity [​IMG] and i would like to give all the eggs the best chance they can have [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by