Need help put together our Dickey incubator. We're confused!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by huckleberryfarm, Jul 8, 2011.

1. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    We just got it all unpackaged and put on the front door. The rest of it is confusing. We bought the one with the electronic thermostat. If you did, was it already installed? Is the wafer thermostat installed? The instructions are there but it's not making sense. What exactly did you do to yours when you unpacked it? We have the humidity pail too.

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    First thing to do is to take the packing list that is in the instructions and count and identify every little piece to make sure it is all there.

3. jcinadr

jcinadr Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2014
    Posting to a dead thread, but went through the same thing last Friday.

The incubator is designed to have 2 wafer thermostats. It primary wafer in front of the secondary (backup). It appeared to me that the digital thermostat replaced the primary wafer.

Mine came with the backup wafer removed for shipping. The electronic thermostat was set hot. I installed the backup wafer, and set it to 102 degrees (with the electronic set hot, only the wafer was turning off the heating element (clockwise moves the screw in, causing the wafer to contact the switch at a lower temp).

After the wafer was set at 102, I backed the primary down to 99.5. The electronic thermostat was shipped with the stem removed, so I had to snap that in place-there was a hole in the side of the cabinet to insert it).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by