need help quick one of my chicks is close to hatching 6days until lock

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BlaineWillard, Aug 12, 2010.

1. BlaineWillard

BlaineWillard Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    North Carolina
    I just candled the eggs today the others look to be on time i compared them to the candling pics listed in the post at the top of the main page. But one egg is really ahead of the others you can already see the feet and claws and it is really dark inside the egg it looks like it is close to hatching but lockdown is still 6 days way what should i do ? I put the eggs in the incubator on august 1 and lockdown is august 18. I been keeping the temp at 99.5 and the humidity at 45% to 50%. Anyone got any suggestions do i go into lockdown early just incase the chick is going to hatch soon so i dont lose it due to the humidity not being high enough . Thanks i need help this is my first time hatching and using a incubator.

2. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Hi, I think your chick will be fine. Do not do lockdown early because of that one chick. you don't want to lose all the others for him. Even if he does hatch early he should be fine.

good luck. [​IMG]

3. BlaineWillard

Jul 26, 2010
    North Carolina
    thanks for the help i guess i will just have to wait and see what happens

4. BlaineWillard

Jul 26, 2010
    North Carolina
    i hate all this waiting cant wait to see them when they hatch.

5. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    was this particular baby from an egg you collected yourself or an egg you bought or were given? I had something similar happen recently where I bought some eggs and wasn't told that they had already started developing. They started hatching at day 13 and a couple finished on what was supposed to be day 19. The rest of my eggs that I collected myself weren't due until today and they are pipping and zipping...sounds like you had a baby that was already developing when it went into the bator. Good luck and post pics!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by