Need help quick

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by defenderinfaith, Mar 12, 2017.

1. defenderinfaith

defenderinfaith Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2016
    Southern New Mexico
    Okay, so we are trying to incubate eggs, got an app that tells us when the eggs are due, yada yada yada, so we do everything as we're told, humidity, temp, time, now i have eggs that are according to the app around 6 days over due. Thinking out rooster is an idiot we cracked open several eggs to see if they were even fertilized as we apparently suck at candling.

I now have 5 very much alive but no longer in their shell. We did not break the membrane around the chick having opened each egg into a bowl to see what was going on...so we did what the internest told us and put them in plastic over a cup and topped, and back in the incubator...2 have partial shell but whole membrane is not ruptured and 3 have no shell but still in sack.

now that i feel horrible for having done this to the poor thing ( we started with 42 eggs most were nasty 28 day long backed goo)

IS THERE ANY HOPE FOR THESE 5??????????????????????????????????????????????

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    When did you set them?

3. defenderinfaith

Jun 30, 2016
    Southern New Mexico
    they were laid the 15, 16, 17 of Feb
    cracked them at 12pm 12 March
    stupid app said they were due last week

4. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Doesn't matter when they were laid. It matters when you placed them in the incubator. When was 21 days from then?

5. defenderinfaith

Jun 30, 2016
    Southern New Mexico
    March 8, 9 and 10 would be days 21

6. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    So you're saying you set them on the days they were laid. Even alive 6 days after due chances of them hatching into healthy chicks are low, not even factoring being cracked open. I would say chances are very slim of a good outcome, nothing is impossible, but improbable. Sounds like your temps in your bator are significantly low. Also, I would collect what you want to hatch and set them altogether instead of staggering the hatch.

7. defenderinfaith

Jun 30, 2016
    Southern New Mexico
    I still have 4 eggs that are day 21 is today that we haven't touched, but I'm guessing the other 5 probably wont make it, which is sad. It's averaging 98-100 inside the incubator. It's a Styrofoam incubator, idk if that makes a difference.

we had just been putting them all into the incubator the day we collected them, we will do the collecting next time. Kind of bummed out thought we had it all correct.

Thank you. Ill post if any survive.

8. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    You're doing a staggered hatch? That could of been the start of the problem. Everytime you opened and added eggs to the incubator, the temp and humidity dropped. Next time gather your eggs then put them all in at one time. They can sit on the counter for 2 weeks and they're fine. You're right on schedule with the 10th. 2 days late could just be .5* low. Did you check temperature and calibrate? Can't rely on the readout on the incubator.
    I wouldn't hold out much hope for the 5. Can you tell if the yolk is absorbed? Keep the humidity up so they don't shrink wrap. You've also got something going on if most were nasty at 28 days. Did you wash then? Were the eggs dirty? Did you clean and sanitize the incubator? Are the shells smooth and hard?
    Look for the post on checking for fertility. Good to check a few eggs in each batch before you start. I have one leghorn who has never laid a fertile egg. I know to eat hers and set others.

9. defenderinfaith

Jun 30, 2016
    Southern New Mexico
    we did a staggered hatch, we didn't know it would cause such problems. we bought a special digital humidity and temp reader for the incubator, the yoke is still ...bright yellow...
    the eggs weren't dirty but we don't wash them, all the ones we put in were smoth hard shells. when found 4 fertilized eggs out of a dozen this morning, 2 leghorn, 1 RIR and 1 Partridge egg

10. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Is it a forced air incubator or still air?

Staggered hatches don't cause a problem during the incubation period. They cause the most problem at lockdown and hatch because of having to raise humidity for hatchers, while the younger eggs may need lower humidity. 3 days staggered isn't horrible, but I think, especially for new hatchers, it complicates things.
    What humidity have you had for the incubation period?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by