Need help quick!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mrsmartin2001, Sep 25, 2007.

1. mrsmartin2001

mrsmartin2001 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2007
    Virginia
    Okay I just went to feed my chickens, and noticed I now have lots of new baby chicks. What do I do? I have tried to catch them an put them in a cage but they get out the cage cause they are so small, the momma hen is frantic over her chicks, I don't have nothing else to put them in, so what do I do? I'm not even sure if I can catch them all. HELP!!!!!!!!!

2. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    when my hen hatched babies I just put them all in a cage together so predators wouldnt get them and put baby waterer and feed in there with them... Momma kept them warm at night and stuff..

3. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    If the mama is taking care of them, leave them with her, she should keep them out of harms way. If you want to catch them wait till the go to bed and get them then

4. mrsmartin2001

Aug 16, 2007
    Virginia
    ok how did you catch the momma hen and the chicks they are so fast and the momma hen i got gets all frantic and scared?

5. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    mine did too.. just like was mentioned.. wait til bedtime.. the chicks will get under her.. should be easy to get them.. you dont have to get them I did because I worry to much.. [​IMG]

6. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Where are they? Are they in a coop? Outside? I guess I would let mama gather them up... hopefully in the coop and you can close the doors and see if you can find somewhere to put them away from the others....contained. But, hey, in the old days, you would just let mama take care of them. If they're outside, you're gonna have to catch them and put them somewhere safe. Got a net??
    Did you know that you had chicks coming?? Or was this a complete surprise?? It's cool, anyway.
    Good Luck! If your any where near me, give me a holler and I'll come and help!! You poor thing! Let us know how you do![​IMG]

7. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Well, first of all congrats on you surprise! I had this happen to me not that long ago. They'll be fine with their mom, though you may find that they end up being wild and skittish.

I ended up catching mine and putting them in a carrier with their mom. I caught the mom first (after trying to catch all the babies first, but they were so tiny they fit out through the door) and the babies all wanted to be with her, so they weren't that hard to catch after I got the mom. Their mom ended up flying off one day (psycho Japanese bantams!!) when I opened up the carrier to feed them. [​IMG] So I did end up brooding them in my house. She will take care of them if you can't catch them, though.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2007
  8. mrsmartin2001

Aug 16, 2007
    Virginia
    I just went out there and I put the cage where they are, its got an opening in the top so I really hope the momma will lead herself and the babies in there tonight, I think I scared her a lot cause everytime I go near them she just gathers her babies and runs. I don't think I have much of a choice then to leave them be outside running around, I just hope they stay safe, she seems to be a very protective momma hen. I thought that this might happen because she has been gone off an on for a while now, an I also got another hen who I beleive is gonna hatch soon to beacause I can't find her. This is my first time with a problem like this. I don't have anyone to help me around here with my chicken situation and I wanna thank all of you for your help. If you think of anything else just let me know. I just really hope they will be ok.

9. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats, do you have predators where you live?
    Youll be best to catch them at night as mdbucks said and rehouse them in a safe area with their own feed and very shallow waterdish.
    good luck let us know how you go.

10. Rebel Chicken

Rebel Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2007
    southern Indiana
    Congrats on the new chicks! The momma hen should take pretty good care of them. If she gets all frantic when you come near, imagin what she would do if something else comes along. If there is a major threat of preditors where they are try to catch them while they are asleep and scoop them up. Grab the hen first if it helps! They will more than likely follow her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by