NEED HELP QUICKLY! Egg bound or other??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by macylee36, Feb 17, 2014.

1. macylee36

macylee36 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2011
    Checked on my RIR today and she was looking very poor in the laying box. I pulled her out and felt that her underside between her legs is very firm -very little give- and swollen and warm. She is not walking, eating or drinking. I am thinking she might be too far gone.

What I have done so far: put her in a warm bath, very gently massaged. Have not felt an egg anywhere. Stuck my finger in and couldn't get very far at all. I didn't feel anything inside. My hope is she is just backed up and maybe I can still get things out but popping my finger in accomplished nothing. My fear is that she already has some kind of infection. She is just standing there with her eyes closed.

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    How long has she gone without eating/drinking? Try giving her a calcium or tums tablet or liquid calcium,this often will help pass egg,break tablet into pieces and give orally. Keep her warm/quiet and someplace dark.

Could be something else,but start with tums/calcium tablets. Check her crop,just to rule out crop issues.

3. macylee36

Oct 31, 2011
    Her crop is totally empty. My husband said she was looking like this last night. I have someone on the way over to help me put her down. She is standing in the sink but resting her head on the counter. I think she is ready to go. I just don't know what else to do. I tried to give her water and she wouldnt take it.

4. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    It could be something else such as peritonitis,but egg binding if not treated will result in death also,this is why giving the tums/calcium is so important as it usually will help pass egg. Not eating/drinking will result in lethargic behavior as birds do require a constant supply of food to fuel their body,birds become dehydrated very fast.

No she will not take water if ill/injured,in most cases if bird will not eat,they are tube fed,but in her case the egg binding(if that is what she has)will result in death regardless if tube fed or not.

Has she been able to poop,with egg binding they usually cannot poop or very small amount of watery poop,stuck egg interferes with their ability to pass droppings.

I wish there was something else i could suggest for her,but unfortunately there is not. Very heartbreaking to watch our pets in distress and not be able to help them.

You are correct,she might be past the point of no return.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. motherofpearl

motherofpearl New Egg

Maybe the egg broke inside her? Have you noticed any weak shells lately on any of the eggs?

6. macylee36

Oct 31, 2011
    She is passed now. I made the decision when I saw that as she stood in the sink, she was laying her head down on the edge of the counter and closing her eyes. I was able to help get some poo out when I stuck my finger in but nothing more than that. I was fairly certain that within the next few hours she would pass if she was laying her head down. No notice of any weak shells. She seemed fine a couple days ago but apparently it doesn't take long. Even if I was able to get some antibiotics, I don't think it would have been fast enough.

I've lost 5 chickens in three years. I feel pretty bad about that but I guess some things can't be helped.

7. 14aviles

14aviles Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2014
    Stafford, Virginia
    My condolences for your loss.

8. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    My condolences,always heartbreaking when our pets die. Releasing her from pain was the best decision,you can always tell when they have had enough and the last loving act we can do for them,is to end their suffering.

I truly wish there had been a happier outcome for your girl.

~Mia

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  9. hensintheHOUse

hensintheHOUse Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2013
    NewYork
    So sorry for your loss. I lost my chicken today too. hugs to you and your family.

10. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I'm so sorry for your loss..hugs to you and your family. Its always so hard to loose a beloved pet.I'm very sorry this happened..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by