Need help quickly

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by scrambled6, Apr 1, 2012.

1. scrambled6

scrambled6 New Egg

Apr 1, 2012
    We woke up this morning to one of our chickens fluttering wildly in a circle unable to stand or control movements. She is pulling her head towards neck when startled. Other symptoms include general listlessness, eyes closed, not eating or drinking, very minimal chirps. No other physical symptoms. We separated her from the other chicks, have been giving her a vitamin-electrolyte supplement and are keeping her wrapped in a warm towel which seems to help the flailing. I have no idea what this is or how to treat it--any help would be appreciated.

2. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    Do you think you could call your vet?

3. scrambled6

scrambled6 New Egg

Apr 1, 2012
    no--there are no local poultry vets available.

4. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    hmmm, It's kind of hard to identify what it is without any regular disease or injury symptoms [​IMG]

5. un-named543

un-named543 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2012
    SE Minnesota
    Sorry you are going through this. Try a search on here if you cannot reach a vet. Try Mareks or wry neck and see if the symptoms match; I cannot tell you-no expereince with these afflictions.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    It could be poison or botulism, moldy feed, fungus, brain injury. It's so hard to know. How old are they?

7. scrambled6

scrambled6 New Egg

Apr 1, 2012
    They are only about 3weeks old. COuld this be Marek's? I'm afraid of the other chicks being exposed.

8. scrambled6

scrambled6 New Egg

Apr 1, 2012
    Okay--she just had a BM, very, very foul smelling, brownish with what looked blood-tinged followed by pasty yellow poop.???

9. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida

Probably not, most likely not. 3 weeks old? I think it's really rare at 3 weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by