Need help regarding quail egg incubation

itsmq

Hatching
Dec 11, 2021
Hi all,
I recently join this forum and i have a few question regarding quail incubation.
1. I found a incubator that turns the eggs 360degrees over 120mins. Is that Ok? I read that quail eggs need to be turned 180degrees...
2. Will dry hatching damage the incubator?
3.Do quail eggs really need to be turned? (I watched a video on youtube from Coturnix Corner and his hatch rate w or w/out turning was the same)
4. Due to regulations, i can only keep a maximum of 10 quails, and i would like to have 5. How many eggs should i incubate to achieve that, and how can I deal with the extra males?Can there be multiple males in one cage, or can they tolerate each other?

Any help will be much appreciated!!!

Thanks-Mingqian

Welcome to BYC! I don't know about the quail turning question but you never know how many will hatch. As fpr the males you can cull/eat them or sell them. I think you should have one male to 4-5 female ratio. I don't own quail but I did do a google search because I am thnking about getting some. Good luck!

Thank you so much. Is it possible to sex quails soon after birth? I read and most methods seem to be for older ones except for vent sexing.
How can I humanely cull quail? Btw i live in an apartment.
Can i keep multiple males in a cage w/out females?

Hi all,
I recently join this forum and i have a few question regarding quail incubation.
1. I found a incubator that turns the eggs 360degrees over 120mins. Is that Ok? I read that quail eggs need to be turned 180degrees...
3.Do quail eggs really need to be turned? (I watched a video on youtube from Coturnix Corner and his hatch rate w or w/out turning was the same)
4. Due to regulations, i can only keep a maximum of 10 quails, and i would like to have 5. How many eggs should i incubate to achieve that, and how can I deal with the extra males?Can there be multiple males in one cage, or can they tolerate each other?

Thanks-Mingqian
Hi there. Welcome to BYC!
1. Most people who hand turn eggs mark one side with an x and the other with an o and turn the eggs 180 degrees. This is for simplicity to make sure they’re turned, not necessarily because they have to be turned 180 degrees. Birds likely are unaware of the number of degrees they turn them they just do it several times a day. From studies I’ve read the first few days are most critical to keep the embryo from sticking. You can hand turn about five times a day or use the turner.
2 Dry hatching doesn’t hurt the incubator, but having too much or too little humidity can impact your hatch rate.
3. See my answer to number 1. The first week or so is usually the most critical for turning. Try not turning and see what happens.
4. It’s difficult to determine how many eggs you’ll need because they may not all be fertile. Also, you don’t know what the male
To female ratio will be until they grow up.
I would hatch a dozen and go from there, but we ate ours so the number didn’t matter.
Males will not get along well unless you keep them away from the females. They’ll crow a lot and if left with females, fight over them. You can eat any extras, they’re delicious especially if bbq’d.
Good luck!

Hi all,

Thanks-Mingqian
I think if you are going to have several males together - or in pairs - you will need to give a feeder, waterer, and ample space to each one, to avoid their competing with each other for these.

Back
Top Bottom