Need Help! Respiratory illness and possible more.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Vermont Poultry, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Vermont Poultry

Vermont Poultry Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern Vermont
    Infectious BronchitisI've posted about this before but my question was only answered with questions. I have a flock of 16 chickens, and 6 guineas who live separate. Within the past 5-6 days one of the Gold Laced Wyandottes started breathing weird and eventually got worse so I brought her inside. I would like this to be cleared up soon because we are possibly getting more birds soon.

I have done research and have not come to a conclusion as to what it is. Here is a video, this is when she was in the coop a few days ago, the breathing has gotten worse, at the end is were you can here it best.

[​IMG]

There is not external signs of parasites, no redness in her throat (although I have not checked in a couple days, she is by far the most difficult chicken to check down her mouth). Some times when she breaths she extends her neck and looks like she is yawning, her breathing has stabilized and is not getting better or worse. Another strange thing is whenever she breathes while I am holding her you can hear a fleshy pop or click, sounds like when some people push their toe against something and repetitively click it almost as if it is slipping in and out of the joint. This sound is coming from her left hip area and I can actually feel vibration whenever it happens.

I think it may be air sack mites but there is not a whole lot of information for diagnosing it on chickens.

Here is a list of my suspicions rated from highest to lowest possibility (my opinion)

1. Air sack mites. Seems the most likely but have had a hard time finding information on how to diagnose.

2. Infectious Bronchitis. Many symptoms match but there are still a few missing pieces.

3. Marek's. My flocks have been exhibiting some behaviors that resemble Marek's, yellow poop (only for a short period of time from our rooster), head bobbing and swinging (one pullet has been doing it for the past 3-4 weeks). I doubt this is the case but Marek's is quite common and can cause tumors which in turn create breathing issues.

Extra information: She has laid an egg since being in the house, but the chickens in the coop have slowed down egg laying, they went from laying 12-15 eggs a day to now 9-10 eggs a day, directly after I removed the chicken from the coop.

Final question, I am likely to be getting more birds soon, more egg layers, possible turkeys, meat birds, quail, ducks, etc. Should I be worried about Marek's (or any other highly contagious lifetime illness). and it possibly spreading to more birds?

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Overrun With Chickens

The first thing I would do to treat her is add some apple cider vinegar to her water. You can put it out with the flock, too, as it can help pretty much anything. It willboost their immune systems and is a good source of probiotics.

Your situation sounds a whole lot like what I had to deal with last year. I got two new chickens for my birthday, and one of them wasn't in the best of health. We quarantined them for two weeks, but two weeks after we let them out, one of them died, and then half of the original flock got a nasty respiratory bug. They had runny eyes and noses, and some were having trouble breathing - similar to your girl. A couple birds were showing some mild paralysis. We decided to cull the sick ones, just to clear out the worst of the disease.

First: Don't cull them, but don't add any new birds of any kind until it's been dealt with. I wouldn't get any new birds until April or May.

It may or may not be IB; what sypmtoms are missing?

I've heard of air sac mites, but don't know a whole lot about them... google time! [​IMG] Hmmmmm....
    I imagine that making sure that their air is clean (not dusty, super clean coop) would help them out alot. Again, ACV added to their water will help anything. Can you see anything crawling around in her throat?

Mareks can sometimes present itself in the form of a respiratory infection, and it can spread on feather dander. Clean all the feathers out of the coop, and depending on how many chickens are wheezing, isolate the healthy ones from the sickies.

3. Sue Gremlin

Sue Gremlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2013
    I can't see their eyes in that video, is there any swelling around them?
    The first thing I think about in a chicken that is having sudden and unexplained trouble breathing is mycoplasma, which is very common and can come and go. It can cause bubbly breathing and sometimes laryngitis as well as eye swelling. You can't really cure it, it will be in your chickens forever if that is what it is.

I bought some new chickens that came with it, and occasionally I've have had to treat my chickens with obvious breathing problems or fever with Tylan injectable, one injection in the breast muscle for 3 days in a row. I'd have to work out the dose again though, I can't remember. It worked like a champ.

4. Vermont Poultry

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern Vermont
    No external signs of anything, the only thing you notice by looking at her is how much she contracts her abdomen while breathing, no swelling, runny nose, etc. Just weird breathing. She has colloidal silver and ACV in her water, along with fermented feed to eat. She is laying eggs inside the house. We are diffusing Dottera oils next to her cage (thyme, On Guard, and Oregano). She has gotten slightly better. We are ordering Chicken respiratory medicine from PetRx, that should help to. Other than that she is doing a bit better.

5. Sue Gremlin

Sue Gremlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2013
    Colloidal silver??? Why?

6. Vermont Poultry

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern Vermont
    To help fight bacteria

7. Vermont Poultry

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern Vermont
    Mind that I put only a very low dosage, one teaspoon of 20 ppm colloidal silver in 1/2 gallon. Along with Apple Cider Vinegar

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by