Need Help! Retreiving deer off of someone elses property...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Birdgirl, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Birdgirl

Birdgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Husband shot a deer tonight and of course it ran over to the grouchy neighbors. Well he did the right thing and called up the man to see if we could go get it. He said NO! youre never aloud on my property ever! So this is where I need the help...

Is there some kinda law or some way we can go get it?!

Its an awful waste to let that deer die and rot for no reason! HELP

2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Does the DNR have a hotline? call them and ask what the protocool is.. my guess is that it's not trepassing under that circumstance, but call for the rules.

3. Oklahoma Lightning

Oklahoma Lightning Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Twin Oaks
    Call the Game Warden and get him to go with you to get the deer.

4. ChickensRCool

ChickensRCool Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Alaska
    My husband is a game warden and he agrees with Oklahoma Lightning. The local warden should be happy to help. Good Luck.[​IMG]

5. Birdgirl

Birdgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Indiana
    thank you all! But my husband says thats not a law anymore, i guess they changed it, I will still have him call thought to double check, there has to be something, and if not there SHOULD be!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  6. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

So.... did you get the deer? I hate to think of it going to waste. [​IMG]

7. dutchhollow

dutchhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    SW IA
    I most places it is against the law not to retrieve it. Call the warden and ask what the law is or look it up online. If the neighbor is being a pain, have the warden go with you. You will not be allowed to carry a gun, or bow with, in most cases. Of course by this time the neighbor probably has it hanging in his shed!

8. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Deer or no deer you can't trespass on someone elses property. I'm not a lawyer but without probable cause the land owner could hold out and ask the game warden to get a warrant to search his property. Maybe the land owner wanted it for himself or if not in a couple days the vultures will tell you where it is. Once it gets good and rotten he will wish he let you come and get it.

Steve in NC

9. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    I wouldn't do it. If somebody doesn't want me on their land, I wont go. Hunting close to private property that your not allowed on is a chance you are going to take if you wound a deer instead of dropping it.

I personally don't care what the DNR says, its still tresspassing.... Sorry.

10. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I have nice neighbors last year they said Yep Go Get it! Dont let the meat rot! Your neighbor probably was to lazy to shoot his own...LOL!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by