Need help...RIR late developing Roo or maturing pullet? **PICS***

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ZooMummzy, Jun 18, 2008.

1. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    This is Emmeline and by the date I was given, she should be 16 weeks old. Being a first time chicken Mom, I have no idea if this is what 16 week old pullets are supposed to look like. She is getting close to laying age, correct?

She has never been dominate or made any attempt to crow. She honks, growls and purrs the same as the others and doesn't really seem to be the leader of the flock. In fact, she is the first one to run and hide when I enter the coop. I'm really hoping she is just a maturing pullet because I had to give one roo away already today.

The other RIR in the picture, Gertrude, is about 2 weeks younger and has always been the bigger of the two, though only slightly. I've included lots of shots to show that all my chicken's bodies and legs are roughly the same size and shape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gertrude and Emmeline today
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Emmeline and Gertrude, 2 weeks ago
    [​IMG]

All the girls today, ranging in ages from 13 weeks to 16 weeks
    [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

She's a girl, don't worry. My 7 week old cockerel had a comb as big as Emmeline's.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  3. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:[​IMG] I'm so very happy to hear that! Thank you so much. I was starting to get worried.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Of course, if she crows, I never said that, LOL! [​IMG] I do think that's a pullet, though. By that age, most cockerels have much larger combs. There are individual differences, of course, in all breeds.

5. Just-Like-Hatching

Just-Like-Hatching Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Dothan, AL
    Sure looks like a hen to me.

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I believe she is a pullet....comb would be huge at 16 weeks if it was a rooster...

7. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    One of my RSL did that to me. She is 9 weeks old in this pic.
    [​IMG]

8. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Thank you everyone [​IMG] I am breathing much easier tonight. I really didn't want to split up my original girlies. They are my first chickens and have grown up together. It would have been a sad day.

9. pattypenny

pattypenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2007
    pullet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by