Need help! Seeking recipe for warm mash for Sussex fowl- frigid weather.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 3riverschick, Jan 3, 2014.

1. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    hi,
    It is frigid here in an arctic blast. I need a recipe for a warm mash for my Sussex fowl.
    They range from 8 mos. to 22 mos.
    I have stone ground white cornmeal , old fashioned rolled oats, and canned spinach. Please advise.
    Thanks so much,
    Karen in 2 degree western PA

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i too was thinking today about a nice warm treat and the best i came up with was cornbread. maybe something along those lines with the spinach baked it? i have never made a mash

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

You can use everything you mentioned! Just mix some water in with it, microwave it and presto! Make sure you stir it well and don't have hot spots that could burn their crops (cropburn is very very bad). I always let things stand for several minutes after microwaving for the chickens.

So if you would prefer, you can fix it in a saucepan. You don't have to worry about it being cooked, just heated nicely and mushy.

They would love a combination of those foods, or any leftovers you have from dinner.

They LOVE raisins that have been soaked.

4. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    what consistency am I seeking? crumble, or wetter, drier?

oh, mushy, ok, thanks

5. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    mushy, heheheh. just wondered how your chickens liked it? i bought some oats today but there one min. i dont know what im thinking i dont even cook for my family.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by