Need help setting up bator.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hcammack, Dec 27, 2009.

1. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Since I am a "flock master" [​IMG] you would think I have hatched chickens before right? well this is my first time setting up a bator and I can figure out the wafer. Its a hova-bator model 1602. What should I keep humidity at? I am going to set a batch of Bantam Faverolle eggs both mine and hopefully another breeders. I know each person has their own ideas of what humidity should be and what it would be at hatch. I am also using a hovabator egg turner for turing my eggs should I remove them for hatch? hatch in egg cartons? hatch in the turner (abviously after its stopped)

Please everyone help this incubation Newbie out [​IMG] I should be setting a ton of these bantam eggs after the new year. I hope to get lots of chicks to choose my Faverolle breeding flock from.

Thanks,
    Henry

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I would start with the humidity at 30% 1-18 an 65% 19-21. I would remove the turner on day 18 an put them on the rack.

3. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:Ok thanks that sounds good to me [​IMG] I the bator is still air should it be at 99.5 or more around 102? thanks

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

101 at the top of the eggs.

5. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:Ok sounds good

6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Congrats on the new bator! You're gonna have fun!

Still air 101. - 102. on top of the eggs. Humidity is a controversial subject. I like 30 - 35% for the first 18 days. Then, remove the egg turner and lay the eggs down (or in cartons, if you prefer) and up the humidity to 60 - 65 %.

The last days are called, "lockdown." This is when you do NOT open the bator. It is important to have all the vents open for oxygen, and keep the humidity up. Oxygen important!

We'll all help you as you go along. Just ask!

7. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Ok great stuff everyone I am getting a batch of Faverolles from Hattrick and maybe some BLRW bantams. I will also be setting some of my own Faverolle eggs. I will let you know when I set the eggs it should be after the new year.

Thanks,
    Henry

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  8. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    What type of hygrometer are you all using? My bators at 101 in not setting the eggs for a while but I'm going to keep it up and running anyway.
    Thanks,
    Henry

9. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I have three different hygrometers. I bought them at Walmart. The more expensive, the better they are, of course. You can, however, calibrate a hygrometer.

10. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:OK I think im going to try and go to target or Petco and get one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by