Need help sexing 1 month old RIRs!!! Pics included!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AmandaFaye, Jan 27, 2015.

1. AmandaFaye

AmandaFaye New Egg

Jan 27, 2015
    Please help me. I have people telling me that all three of my supposed hens are actually roosters. I'm praying they're wrong and I won't have to start all over again :( . I am concerned about one in particular being a roo... but I really didn't think all 3 of them were! Got the best pics I possibly could...The first two pics are the one that concerns me the most... its taller and it's comb is more red... the last two pics I was pretty sure was a hen... it's got longer tail feathers than the other two and is shorter but I'm being told based on the size of the comb that there's no way it's a hen. The 3rd chick didn't want to cooperate for pics.... between me and my brother we got 7 chicks the same day and all of their combs are this size. Is it possible we ended up with 7 roosters??
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KurtG

KurtG Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2014
    Maryland
    I would say it is possible they are both roosters, the first most definately looks like one.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    First 2 pics look like they could be cockerels, because of size and color in comb...
    ......within a week or two, cockerel waddles will be showing color and growth.

2nd 2 pics look more to be pullets.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The first one is definitely a cockerel, and I'm leaning towards cockerel on the second one, too. However, I am less sure about the second one.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

6. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    The first chick is a cockerel for sure. Way too much headgear for one month old, plus it's turned pink already. At one month old, it's a fair bet that one is a cockerel.

The second one I'm leaning towards pullet - for now. I qualify that because whilst the tail makes me think pullet, feathering at such a young age can be deceptive. It could still be a slow-developing cockerel.

I had two cockerels and one pullet recently, all from the same hatch (and the same parentage) who had extreme variations in comb and wattle development. It wasn't until 10+ weeks that it became obvious that two were definite 'roos. Until that point I used to say that I had one rooster, one pullet and one question mark!

You may need to wait it out a few more weeks on the second chick.

- Krista

7. GhettoRoo

GhettoRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2014
    I have two 3.5 half weeks old RIR.
    One had more darker head, and bit bigger legs, second is smaller with lighter head.

Cockerels should be ones with darker heads?
    Same with SL wyandottes, they heads have different colourings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by