1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help sexing 15 week old Polish chickens - lots of pics

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ArizonaDesertChicks, Dec 26, 2010.

1. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    These are my first Polish chickens - I do know how to sex other types of chickens, and I'm pretty sure these 4 are all pullets, but need some confirmation from Polish chicken experts. They are being picked on my my other chickens and need to be rehomed. I don't want to advertise them as hens and end up giving someone a rooster.

The backs of their crests look bad because 3 of the 4 were pecked at by the other hens - these 4 have been separated from the others for the past week in a temporary makeshift coop - their crests are growing back. They will be 15 weeks old tomorrow.

I'm sure these two are pullets:
    [​IMG]

I believe this buff laced polish is a pullet too, but she always stands so tall - long skinny legs:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think I see pointed saddle feathers on my silver laced polish, but she doesn't have any wattles and no pink on her comb whatsoever.

[​IMG]

Are these male saddle feathers or just an illusion?
    [​IMG]

Her crest and face - at least what you can see of her face:

[​IMG]

She isn't any bigger than the others and legs aren't any thicker either:
    [​IMG]

2. EMAW

EMAW Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    SW Michigan
    I cannot help with the sex of your Polish, but I have to ask where you got them from? My daughter loves the look of Buff Polish and yours looks just like the pictures she keeps showing me. Hopefully others can help you with sexing.

Happy Holidays.

3. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    From what I can see they all look like girlies to me [​IMG]

4. WhoopiePie

WhoopiePie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    Queens, NY
    ok so i'm not an expert but they look like girls to me [​IMG]

i've had roos by mistake and their crests were much more shaggy looking, even at that young age.

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    your last one is a male-they are saddle feathers-but he is perdy!!!! the rest are pullets

6. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    All are pullets.

7. ArizonaDesertChicks

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Quote:I bought them from Mypetchicken.com. I wish I could keep them - I think they'll be even prettier once they get all their adult feathers in.

8. ArizonaDesertChicks

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Quote:I've heard that you can tell the sex of the polish from their crests at a pretty young age, but am not experienced enough with polish to figure these out -- so all 4 of my polish have female type crests? At what age do males get stringy crests?

9. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

I have two polish (black with white crests, like your first pic) Lola (she was a showgirl....) and Tony (always tended bar...) and they were pretty easy to tell at the same age. Her crest is soft and fluffy like she's been to the beauty shop and his is spiky like a rock star.

10. V Comb

V Comb Chillin' With My Peeps

All are girls [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by