Need help sexing 3 different breeds...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by christall, Sep 11, 2011.

1. christall

christall Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    Northwest Washington
    These guys are approx 16 weeks and as soon as I "decide" which sex I think they are, they do something that makes me change my mind. Hoping some of the experts can chime in with some wisdom.

We have 2 Americauna
    2 Silver-laced wyandotte
    and 1 black minorca

[​IMG]
    This is Lacy (as in Lacy Gaga) (SLW) and Chuck (Americauna)

[​IMG]
    This is Charlie (2nd Americauna) (I do think Chuck and Charlie are girls - but my daughter named them, so...)

[​IMG]
    Ryan (Minorca) Again, thought she was a she - but now not so sure...

[​IMG]
    This is Olivia (2nd SLW)

These pictures aren't great - but those chickens move WAY to fast when you have one hand on the camera!

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
    Christall

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    I see all pullets!

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Girls 'n more girls! [​IMG]

4. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Chuck's tail looks a little suspicious but I am pretty sure the others are hens. That is a pretty flock.

5. christall

christall Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    Northwest Washington
    Quote:Chuck had some feather's on his back pulled out by one of the other girls - so his tail looks really funny to me right now - and he's kind of carrying it/holding it up funny. Normally, until the feather incident, it looked exactly like Charlie's... For a while I was thinking he was a male just because he grew so much faster than Charlie - but at about 12 weeks his growth slowed down and Charlie caught up.

They really are the best little group of chickens. I adore every one of them - just like knowing if we have little ladies or a boy or two... Now if they'd just start laying eggs!

Thanks for all your help.

Christall

6. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    They all look girly to me... except for your first SLW. There's so much redness and wattle/comb development for 16 weeks!

7. Stumpfarmer

Stumpfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Quote:Yeah, but the feather pattern is not even a little bit male. So confusing!

8. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    Me Too! [​IMG]
    Quote:

9. enjoyin' my chickens

enjoyin' my chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Hinesville, Ga
    Chuck, Charlie, and Olivia are pullets. Lacy looks like one I have that I thought was a cockerel I named Marlon but reading everyone's posts I am inclined to keep my options open.

By the way Olivia looks identical to my Sylvia. I hope you enjoy her as much as I enjoy mine.

10. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    Chuck and Charlie are both girls. They are Easter Eggers just like my six. Mine were sold to me as Ameraucanas also, but they are not true Ameraucanas. [​IMG] All the rest look like girls to me also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by