Need help sexing 9 wk old chickens.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by henrychick, May 31, 2010.

1. henrychick

henrychick Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2010
    Hi, we have 6 chickens that were a straight run and need some help sexing them. I am guessing that 3 are males based on the following: combs are developing faster than others, more aggressive behavior and leaders of the flock. I have read several books and read that you can tell my their hackle feathers and whether they are pointed or rounded. They all look the same to me, they all look rounded. I believe my chickens are Rhode Island Reds, maybe one is a Leghorn (white one) and a Black Bantam. If you can help me determine what type of chickens they are and what sex they are I would really appreciate it!!! My husband said he thought he heard one trying to crow last night. THANK YOU! I will try to post some pics.

2. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    [​IMG]

We will need pictures for sure. At 9 weeks someone should be able to tell you.

3. henrychick

May 31, 2010
    will try to get better pics tomorrow when it isn't raining....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    It does look kinda rooster heavy, but will need those better pictures.

5. fastpat

fastpat Chillin' With My Peeps

The white one in the top photo appears to be a cockerel, the red one on the left in the bottom photo may be as well. Try to get individuals in each photo from the side to fully view their combs.

6. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    Sorry for this extra post. I pushed the wrong button....

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  7. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I agree that the white one and the red one in the bottom look like they could be cockerels. The black one also looks suspicious.

As far as breed the white one does look like it could be a white leghorn. A side photo would be easier to identify it. I have a white leghorn cockerel that is about 6 - 7 weeks old. It's comb is larger than yours.

The red on at the bottom of the 1st picture looks to me like it could be a sex link (the occasional white feathers). The suspicious red one coloring looks like a RIR. I am not sure about the others from these photos.

I know that it can be difficult to get photos of the birds. Mine always seen to move just as the shutter is opening. argh... A full side view including the legs and tail is helpful in identifying them.

8. henrychick

May 31, 2010
    Here are better pics. Looks like the first three might be males. What do you think?

Henry

[​IMG]

Sheila (hoping she stays a Sheila and isn't a boy, she is a bantam)

[​IMG]

Big Bird

[​IMG]

"The girls" (Ernita, Clarissa and Foghorn)

[​IMG]

Thanks!!!

9. fastpat

fastpat Chillin' With My Peeps

Your black bantam appears to be a cockerel to me. I'd wait to be sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by