Need help sexing 9 wk old chickens.

henrychick

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 31, 2010
Hi, we have 6 chickens that were a straight run and need some help sexing them. I am guessing that 3 are males based on the following: combs are developing faster than others, more aggressive behavior and leaders of the flock. I have read several books and read that you can tell my their hackle feathers and whether they are pointed or rounded. They all look the same to me, they all look rounded. I believe my chickens are Rhode Island Reds, maybe one is a Leghorn (white one) and a Black Bantam. If you can help me determine what type of chickens they are and what sex they are I would really appreciate it!!! My husband said he thought he heard one trying to crow last night. THANK YOU! I will try to post some pics.

welcome-byc.gif

We will need pictures for sure. At 9 weeks someone should be able to tell you.

The white one in the top photo appears to be a cockerel, the red one on the left in the bottom photo may be as well. Try to get individuals in each photo from the side to fully view their combs.

I agree that the white one and the red one in the bottom look like they could be cockerels. The black one also looks suspicious.

As far as breed the white one does look like it could be a white leghorn. A side photo would be easier to identify it. I have a white leghorn cockerel that is about 6 - 7 weeks old. It's comb is larger than yours.

The red on at the bottom of the 1st picture looks to me like it could be a sex link (the occasional white feathers). The suspicious red one coloring looks like a RIR. I am not sure about the others from these photos.

I know that it can be difficult to get photos of the birds. Mine always seen to move just as the shutter is opening. argh... A full side view including the legs and tail is helpful in identifying them.

Here are better pics. Looks like the first three might be males. What do you think?

Henry

59176_img_2599.jpg

Sheila (hoping she stays a Sheila and isn't a boy, she is a bantam)

59176_img_2600.jpg

Big Bird

59176_img_2605.jpg

"The girls" (Ernita, Clarissa and Foghorn)

59176_img_2595.jpg

Thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom