1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

need help sexing a polish chicken

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by squeak1387, May 15, 2011.

1. squeak1387

squeak1387 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    bronson, fl
    Just today i bought my first two polish chickens. It is susposed to be a male and female set. when i got home, i noticed that the so called female has what looks like a spur growing on her leg, but she has a much fuller head set then the male. i was wonding if there was any way someone could help me by giving me sexing traits for polish chickens.

2. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Well, pictures speak a thousand words. But I've heard that some Polish have a more spastic poof the females will look like more of a bonnet than a rockers hair

3. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    I think pics would work better too! But even hens have spurs but they are just duds.

4. squeak1387

May 15, 2011
    bronson, fl
    ok so now all i need to know is how to put pics on here

5. squeak1387

May 15, 2011
    bronson, fl
    [​IMG] her feet

[​IMG] her head

6. jywel417

jywel417 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    Atlanta
    her hair is too neat to be a rooster. I had a polish hen who had killer spurs [​IMG] but she was most definitley a hen!

7. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    I've had 3 hens now with spurs.

Still have one. A barred Game hen. Those suckers are wicked looking.

I'm beinging to wonder about mine though. Last year she was my best layer. This year she hasn't laid a single egg. I think it's the roo I have her with. I'm either going to move her to another pen, but I'm also thinking I may just sell her since I really have no other roo I want to use with her.

8. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    That does look like a girl.. [​IMG]

9. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

That's a girl. [​IMG] No need to worry. I have one just like her! Hens that have hatchery lines often grow small spurs on their legs. Even then, all hens, regardless of their origins, should have 'spur buds' on their legs, so that's normal.

Mature females will have fluffy poofy afros, while mature males will have stringy rocker 'dos. Sometimes it takes a while for these traits to fully develop on the birds.

Edited to clarify: A variety of different types of hens grow legit spurs. It can pop up in a few different situations. I used to have a Polish gal with killer spurs.

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  10. Sumatraqueen

Sumatraqueen Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    Yep, that definately looks like a hen. Beautiful coloring![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by