Need help sexing a silkie and belgian/pekin! Pics included. :)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lavisy, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Lavisy

Lavisy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2010
    Perth, WA
    We are soooo excited, we picked up our latest additions to our flock today and we already love them to pieces. So friendly!

The first we named Fae and is a belgianxpekin. They said she is 10-12 weeks old. Do you agree? Also we believe she is a pullet, what do you think?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next is our new silkie, now i know how difficult it is to sex silkies, so im just after your opinions. They said she was 8-10 weeks, do you agree? She doesnt seem to have any wattles, or streamers and I think the head looks quite rounded. But im new to silkies so would love some opinions.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks so much guys!

2. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    First one's a pullet for sure. The silkie looks boyish to me but it could go either way at this stage.

3. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    First one is so cute and it does look like a pullit,I have silkies and it is very hard to sex them,my guess is boy because of the swept back top,you will have to wait and see

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I'm going to say they are both girls. Silkies are really hard to guess sometimes, but she doesn't seem to have any sign of wattles. I love that belgian X !

5. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    the Silkie looks male to me~~the width of the comb and swept back crest

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I agree that the silkie is way to young for certainty, but also think type looks a bit cockerelish, along with the swept-back crest. Wattles are never a clue on silkies.

7. V Comb

V Comb Chillin' With My Peeps

Silkies are very difficult to sex (especially Australian ones), so I'm not gonna even guess but the pekin x d'uccle is a girl :)

8. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    First is a definite girl, the second one I am leaning towards female but not sure.

9. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    The silkie is definetely a roo. This is mine at around the same age (12 weeks)
    [​IMG]
    Pullet at the same age as comparison:
    [​IMG]

10. Lavisy

Lavisy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2010
    Perth, WA
    Thanks for your opinions guys! So please you all think Fae is a pullet, she is gorgeous [​IMG]

As for the silkie, looks like mixed views. Magicpigeon your silkies are lovely, but look alot older than mine. The lady said it was 8-10 weeks old, but I think its younger especially looking at yours magicpigeon. Mine is still growing in his head feathers, and has next to no tail and also has hardly any feathers on its legs.

Im thinking about 6 weeks old. What do you think?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by