Need Help Sexing Appleyard Ducklings

BassRoof

Chirping
14 Years
May 22, 2008
Miller, KS
Hi everyone
We got 4 appleyard ducklings on friday and we want to keep either a pair or a trio. How do we tell what is what? These are partially for the child in the house(she is getting attatched) and we dont want to break her heart. We found some stuff online about their bill, females having a black bean. Can anyone who has had these before tell me when they develop this bean? 3 of them have little black spots on the end of their bills and the little one(her favorite) does not but I dont know if it is still too young. Please help. We can send pics if it would help.

Sara

I have a mallard/appleyard hen. It was impossible for me to tell the difference between males/females for 12 weeks. The males were actually smaller in the beginning, but I don't think that's typical. The appleyard "personality" is very appealing, especially for children. Play with them a lot and hand feed them, and they will become a nice pet. Good luck.

The only way I could tell the sex of mine at a youngish age was the quack. Females have a loud quack and drakes have a whisper quack.
Good luck with your duckies
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom