Need Help Sexing Barred Rocks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by emscheid, May 18, 2016.

1. emscheid

emscheid Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2016
    Our barred rocks are 5 1/2 weeks old and I am still wondering what gender they are (purchased as straight run).

We have 1 that is mostly black with only a little white, has the dark wash down the front of legs, and smaller comb that's only a hint of pink yet- is this "definitely" a hen?

And then we have 3 that look like the one pictured- their feathers look lighter , and are all getting red combs.

BUT, some have black wash down the front of legs and some don't. This one pictured also had a small distinct white dot on its head when it was a chick. Would you still guess male? or could it still go either way? (would you pay more attention to the color of feathers and combs or is the leg wash/head dot still a
    factor?)

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    The bird pictured is a cockerel -- it would be best to show each of the birds in a photo vs. describing what they look like or that they look like the one shown as there is no way to say with certainty what gender a bird is without seeing it.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    As to the leg wash - that is entirely unreliable, especially in lines which are not bred with that as a characteristic of focus.

4. emscheid

emscheid Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2016
    Sorry for posting only one picture, but the three look so much alike I can't even tell them apart (other than leg wash), so I didn't think it was necessary. But I will add more pictures later if I can.

Also (wasn't sure if you saw what I added later), is the distinct head dot at hatch not very reliable either? I was really hoping for a hen since it had both the distinct dot and the darker legs. Oh well. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by