Need help sexing chicks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by undonegirl, Sep 15, 2009.

1. undonegirl

undonegirl New Egg

Sep 2, 2009
    Hendersonville, TN
    We have some chicks that we need to sex before giving away/keeping (we can only have 1 rooster in our neighborhood). Any ideas? I read the one about holding them by the scruff of their neck and seeing what their legs do. Any other way??

2. CHIC

CHIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    There is a way you can hold their wings out and I think the rule is, if their feathers are two different lengths- female, and one length-male. Not positive, try to google it.

3. undonegirl

undonegirl New Egg

Sep 2, 2009
    Hendersonville, TN
    I'm just REALLY afraid to Google 'sex chickens'. [​IMG]

4. Brianm97

Brianm97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    give us some pics and we may be able to help you

5. undonegirl

undonegirl New Egg

Sep 2, 2009
    Hendersonville, TN
    Wow...thanks. I'll try to do that tonight.

6. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    Post pictures. How old??? Don't think the leg thing works other tahn making their little heads spin....[​IMG]

7. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    The wing thing is with only certain breeds, or so i've read today. And you're right, googling chicks sex image is really not a good idea. [​IMG] But i did it anyway and did get some info.

This chart seems the most sensible way to go to me, depending on your breed. http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/sexingchicks.html

8. undonegirl

undonegirl New Egg

Sep 2, 2009
    Hendersonville, TN
    WONDERFUL!! Thank you so very much. We (kids and I) spent the afternoon trying to figure it out and making a working list. What fun we had!

9. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:Are you going to show us? And tell us what breed you have?

10. undonegirl

undonegirl New Egg

Sep 2, 2009
    Hendersonville, TN
    Here is my problem. I took some pictures yesterday and will try to get them up. They are pretty much all together though (not many individual shots). My husband is out of town so it's just me and the 3 kids. It got a little crazy. [​IMG]

When we got the eggs, they were through a third party (a friend) and he didn't pay close to attention to the breeds. I know for sure there are White Leghorns (I picked up those eggs) and then I think Australorps and Araucanas. At least that is what he thinks the guy said. I know, that only adds insult to injury in this whole thing.

Fortunately, I have found a lady who wants the chicks we can't keep and she doesn't care if they're hens or roosters; she just wants to add to her existing coop. [​IMG]

You guys have all been soooo helpful and I truly, truly appreciate it. Thank you so much. I will post the pics once all the kids are off to school although it's more for fun at this point. I don't think the pics are 'individual' enough to be able to tell anything. They sure are some beautiful chicks though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by