Need help sexing my 5 week old buffs

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Marme, May 20, 2016.

1. Marme

Marme Just Hatched

May 20, 2016
    When they were two weeks old two had long wings and long tail feathers and the third had no tail and short wings. I was guessing two pullets and one cockerel based on that. Now I'm thinking I might have two Cockerels and one pullet? I can only keep hens so I'll be depressed if they are all Roos =( Can anyone help me?[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Are these orpingtons?? If so, based solely on how much red is in the comb already, I'd think #3 was a cockerel. Of course I've only raised one BO from chickhood, and I don't think her comb turned red until about 8-10 weeks. Your other two have much more distinct combs that my girl had at such an early age, but at least they don't look red yet.

I think you're going to have to wait a few more weeks before you know for sure on any of them...

1 person likes this.
  3. Honora

Honora Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Sorry to say they all look like boys to me.

4. littlegreywolf

littlegreywolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Southwest Texas
    They look like cockerels. :(

5. spotter

spotter Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2014
    Oh very sorry to say but I have one the same age with a barely visible pale yellow comb and no wattles at all - I'm assuming she's a pullet which means yours may well be Roos :(

6. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    I agree with everyone else above, cockerels.

Here are 2 BO pullets at 12 weeks of age:

[​IMG]

7. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    And here at 6 weeks, same birds as above:

[​IMG]

8. Marme

Marme Just Hatched

May 20, 2016
    [​IMG] #1
    [​IMG] #2

[​IMG] #3

Ok guys, here they are at 14 weeks. Still not sure about two of them but I'm pretty darn sure #3 is a rooster. He's huge compared to the other two and has the biggest comb, thickest legs and more masculine looking head to me. I'm still holding out hope that #1 is a hen. She has the comb and wattles but they are smaller than the other two and her head is much more petite. #2 I still am not sure about, but I'm thinking rooster. I'm assuming I just won't know until they either crow or lay.... I need to know soon so I can rehome the roosters. My neighbors won't appreciate crowing! That and I'm sure my other three girls wouldn't appreciate being accosted by three boys! Thoughts?

9. Busia77

Busia77 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2016
    Wisconsin
    My 12 week BO's all look like your pic above. All 5 of mine are cockerels and have been crowing. I didnt get a single hen either.

10. Marme

Marme Just Hatched

May 20, 2016
    I'm definitely frustrated because I got three hoping I'd at least get one buff hen to add to my other three hens... The friendliest one also seems like the most likely to be a hen... So I'm hoping if I hold on to her she won't disappoint me and start crowing. The other two I'm sure are boys. They are nice looking chickens but I just can't keep them in a residential area. Plus my girls would never be left alone if I kept this many roosters anyways! Soooo disappointed...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by