Need help sexing my BR & EE chicks (Pic Heavy)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by OkieKristi, Jul 3, 2011.

1. OkieKristi

OkieKristi Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2010
    N.E. Oklahoma
    A friend gave me four chicks recently. They are 7-8 wks old. I really don't need another roo, and I am pretty sure I now have 3 more.

I was pretty sure BR#1 was a boy, as it is lighter in color, and the comb started turning red first.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now I am not so sure, because BR#2 has darker coloring, but now has a larger, redder comb & wattles. This one has very little tail. It is just starting to get some little stubby tail feathers. Also pretty sure this one isn't a true BR since it has white feet and beak.
    [​IMG]

This is the first EE. You can't really tell, but there are little bumps on either side of the comb, so I am really assuming boy. I was sure this was a girl at first, because the color is really similar to an EE hen that I have, although it is a little darker.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Please tell me this little Ameraucana/EE is a girl. This was the first one to start showing pink in the comb, so I was worried, but it is now the lightest colored comb of the four. Not the greatest pics because she(?) wouldn't even sit still when hubby was holding her.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Your BR are roos ( and you could be correct about the one with white feet and beak...)

...the EE's, the one looks exactly like my EE roo, the first one, your last one, could be a pullet, hard to tell from the pic...how old are they?

3. ChickGirl6

ChickGirl6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    EchoingAcres, MN
    #1 is a BR Roo
    #2 is a Dominique Roo
    #3 is a EE Roo
    And #4 is a EE Pullet
    I think.

4. OkieKristi

OkieKristi Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2010
    N.E. Oklahoma
    Thanks! That confirms what I was thinking. I was really hoping I was wrong, because BR#1 is so sweet. I was given these chicks because I need more girls. I currently have 4 pullets to one EE roo, and he needs more girls! They are all (especially my one little EE pullet) missing feathers and run when they see him coming.
    [​IMG]

Doesn't a Dominique have a rose comb?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:I agree.

6. LunarRayne

LunarRayne Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I thought so too...

7. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    I think you have three roo's, the last one's a pullet - and a very pretty one! I agree, the second BR doesn't look pure...Maybe the freezer's the place for him....[​IMG]

8. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    The second one could be a black sex link. Is not Dom because they have pea combs. The first is most definitly a barred rock roo looks just like my little Pong. The EE's I have no idea. I only have 2 of them and they are girls but much different color.

9. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    #1 BR roo
    #2 ? roo....still think some mix of BR
    #3 EE roo
    #4 EE pullet

A pic of my EE that I swore was a pullet...now the dominant roo

[​IMG]

10. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    How old are they?
    My guess is
    #1 Barred Rock Cockerel
    #2 Barred Rock Cockerel ( Dominique have Rose combs )
    #3 Easter Egger Cockerel
    #4 Easter Egger Pullet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by