Need help sexing my chicks!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by televisionjett, Aug 23, 2013.

1. televisionjett

televisionjett New Egg

Aug 23, 2013
    Not sure if this feed still gets looked at though I've been coming back to it relentlessly trying to figure out my chick situation.

Here are my four silkies going on 6 weeks old:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This buff I'm not so sure about. Started out with virtually nothing and has now has the biggest comb

[​IMG]

I was thinking this was a roo at first because it's the largest of all 4

[​IMG]

This is a miniature version of the one above and thus I thought maybe a hen?

[​IMG]

I was thinking this was a hen as well. She's the smallest of all 4 and has the smallest comb.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let me know what you think!

THANKS!!!!!!!!!

2. dwalters

dwalters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013
    Southern Michigan
    Silkies are hard to sex that young. I just can't tell. Sorry

3. televisionjett

televisionjett New Egg

Aug 23, 2013
    Yea I posted in another feed where someone can tell at around 4 weeks, so here's hoping!

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    That person was most likely blowing smoke. Silkies are notoriously difficult to gender ID until very late into development.

5. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    X2

Silkies are hard. I recently rehomed 2 6month old silkies as roosters(though honestly one I wasn't sure on I kept going back and forth every day) even after I rehomed him she told me she also thought he might be a hen since he was very hen like in features and personality. Turns out he is a he, but most silkies will do that to you keep you second guessing yourself.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  6. televisionjett

televisionjett New Egg

Aug 23, 2013
    Ahh I see. Thanks for the input. I'll continue to watch and enjoy. The Mrs will only allow the hens to stay so the roos will have to be rehomed as soon as we can tell their sexes. Though it's tough as I'm getting attached to all of them and their crazy personalities!!!

The hard life. lol

7. dwalters

dwalters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013
    Southern Michigan
    Sometimes you just can't tell until it crows or lays an egg:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by