Need help sexing my marans

Tabooza

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2015
Pomona CA
Hey everyone long time lerker here, hehehhe
1f601.png
, finally bought my self some chicks 3 months ago. Now im in need of some help sexing some marans.also one is a mystery breed, i bought 3 marans but one looks completely different. Any help is much appreciated thanks in advance everyone
1f600.png
.srry for the low quality pix
1st up blue copper marans. What u guys think male or female 3 months old

2nd is my Black Copper Marans

Last is the mystery one,when i bought them 3 months ago they all looked the same but this one has me guessing now. What do u guys think, is it a marans

I can believe they are Marans, just not show quality....and not French line as no leg feathers. Legs may be a bit too dark, which can be lack of control in the line, or its simply the photo lighting. SOP calls for light to mid slate, BCM can be dark slate.

The top and the bottom are definitely roosters...you can see the red bars coming in on the wings. The top is likely a Blue Copper. The bottom, I'm not sure....Marans come in a number of colors, and breeders often like to try for some designer colors creating some unique patterns...sometimes crossing over a Wheaten or Buff with something else like a Blue Copper can give some different results....or they may have been trying for Gold Salmon. That bird might be a mixed breed or a mixed result of coloring attempt (and reason for sale).

The middle bird looks Black Copper Marans, and is likely a male due to comb size at 3 to 4 months of age(?), however it does not have the red bars yet, and one of my pullets matured quickly and laid early...so there is a little hope this might turn out to be a pullet...but prepare yourself for male.

Sorry.

LofMc

Can someone guide me in the right direction to buy some french copper marans. Want to compare the ones I have now and the ones I get. Thanks again everyone
1f609.png

Back
Top Bottom