Need help sexing my Mille fleur bearded d'uccles, easter eggers and mottled cochin bantams.

They are coming to get 2 roo's, but so far you don't know about the d'Uccle, right? Yes, my other bantam is a silver Sebright. They're getting lots of feathers. The D'Uccle has a bit of comb, not the Sebright, but I know that's like comparing apples and oranges. I took this pic just now, the D'Uccle is bigger than the Sebright now. I didn't like the names I gave them, so I still haven't named them. I tend to call the Sebright Silver, and today D'Uccle is going by Nugget. (as in gold nugget, not chicken nugget!)
What cuties! Your D'uccle looks like it has more grey than mine. Their feathers came in all orange though with black along the wings. I loved their early feathered feet. If tractor supply gets sebrights in next year I'll try for pullets. I'm thinking ideally I'll have around 12 hens bantam size. So far it looks like I have 5.

Last edited:
Ok here are my 4 week old D'uccle's. Flora and Hazel. Flora is on the left and has a bigger comb. It's even wrinkling instead of straight though it doesn't show well here. Hazel is on the right.
I'm hearing that Flora looks like a pullet on the D'uccle forum. Here she is.

Well that would be good news! The combs do look different, but maybe that is just individual variation.... So far, so good....

So far at six weeks old I seem to have three roosters. I'm keeping the Easter Egger rooster. Five of my chicks look to be pullets. Six I wanted out of eight straight run is much better than I feared.
Even better I have someone coming to take my extra roos tomorrow so no one faces the firing squad.

My little ones had a second trip to the coop today. They fit in better and loved it. If only it were warmer.
It looks like they all have all their feathers, they should be fine...you probably have similar weather to us. However we do have 38º this morning.... I am planning on moving my chicks out next week at 4 weeks old. So far they are still sleeping under their heat source, which is a ceramic heat emitter. I could move that out as well but was hoping they'd give it up first. I am dividing my coop today, so the 3 hens begin to get used to the changes. The chicks have their own door and their own divided part of the run. But I won't let them outside for a few days, I'll put mesh over their little door so they can look out. The D'uccle is very calm compared to the Leghorns. I had heard leghorns were flighty, they are. Friendly but very excitable. They all get to flying around and crashing into each other, but Mille just calmly sits there watching the fracas. The Sebright is calmer than the leghorns, but not as mellow as the D'uccle. Here she is this morning...

Last edited:
It looks like they all have all their feathers, they should be fine...you probably have similar weather to us. However we do have 38º this morning.... I am planning on moving my chicks out next week at 4 weeks old. So far they are still sleeping under their heat source, which is a ceramic heat emitter. I could move that out as well but was hoping they'd give it up first. I am dividing my coop today, so the 3 hens begin to get used to the changes. The chicks have their own door and their own divided part of the run. But I won't let them outside for a few days, I'll put mesh over their little door so they can look out. The D'uccle is very calm compared to the Leghorns. I had heard leghorns were flighty, they are. Friendly but very excitable. They all get to flying around and crashing into each other, but Mille just calmly sits there watching the fracas. The Sebright is calmer than the leghorns, but not as mellow as the D'uccle. Here she is this morning...
Most of Ethel'sfeathers came in this last week and my runty rooster that still had fluff has a new home so they are better off at night. Right now they are doing 60degrees at night in the basement but we had a night in the thirties two days ago and will have another this week so I'm watching the weather. It is so close. Your little one is so cute! Several of my more standoffish birds have become more friendly as of five to six weeks old. I'm surprised.

Yes, there's another night in the 30's coming this weekend here, if they don't change the forecast. With this in mind I found this old forum about cold hardening chicks and I think after reading this, I'm going to stick to my plan and move mine out on Monday.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1162578/moving-chicks-to-the-coop
Oh that is interesting and shocking. I only turned out the lamp because I broke it and they freaked out at first barreling under each other in a mad rush. Their box in the basement blocks a lot of light so I've had to keep a light on for them in the day and turn it off at bedtime. I know it is a horrible transition at night because of their eyesight. I still intend to hold or let them perch on me everyday so I have kept them inside for convenience too. Maybe it's time though.

Ok we are going to do some day visits to introduce them to the coop and practice the roosts then move them over. They loved spending the day there yesterday and look who has a few white spots!

That's Flora and my son. Hazel has more white near the base of her tail. I didn't notice till the better lighting in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom