Need help sexing my white silkies

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hungryhensfarm, Nov 26, 2009.

1. hungryhensfarm

hungryhensfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Alabama
    I have three white silkies that are about 3 months of age. What I need help with is two of them have what looks like a smear of blue nail polish on each side of their heads. The third one I have not seen blue marking on. Can anyone tell me what this means?

2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Those are the ear lobes and are not a good sex indicator as both sexes get them. If you post some pictures of the birds, we could help sex them [​IMG]

3. hungryhensfarm

hungryhensfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Alabama
    I'll do that asap. Thanks.

4. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    my white silkies are 5 weeks and i know the genders already i have a pair when you get the pic up ill do my best to help you

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    At 5 weeks the only way to accurately know the gender is DNA testing.

6. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    Quote:one already has a comb and the other is still flat. and i just know i have that feeling i know my babies. and dont they have that no bump and bump also all chickens do i dont know how to sex them like that but i just know. its like that feeling a mother gets when the baby isnt even born yet if its a boy or girl. i cant have kids so this is like that for me lol they are my babies if im wrong then ill still keep them silkies are special and really beautiful no matter the gender. thank you though. and o.p could you be talking about their lobes being blue? its not feathers?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by